Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Broken Sword: Director's Cut review

This thread is in response to a review for Broken Sword: Director's Cut on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: September 09, 2010 (04:22 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is my least favorite thing for a game company to do: release an updated version of a game and make it worse in the process. What a !@#$! travesty. It happened with Siberia DS in an even more aggravating way, but this still makes the cut as a terrible, terrible, tragedy.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 09, 2010 (04:54 PM)

Playing through Director's Cut (for a second time to pen my second review -- that was harsh enough) was disappointing. I'd hoped that the trip back to PC taking over a year would mean a lot of things have been fixed, but, frankly, despite the time taken, the game doesn't feel finished. The audio is off, scenes end prematurely and the game talks down to you, assuming you'll get stuck at every step and waiting for you with a hint book and a cup of marshmallow-filled hot chocolate.

You best still be getting the PSX version of this one, Zipp. I never forget a randomly-issued command!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: September 10, 2010 (03:38 AM)

I thought The Director's Cut was wonderful. The transition between old and new was jarring, but the new interface, hints systems, and additional content were all delightful in my eyes.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: September 10, 2010 (05:38 AM)

Growing apart, man.

I really did not like a lot of it. I can understand the need for a hint system, but making all the hot-spots visable and scaling back what you can use to about half was moronic. That they nuked a lot of what George says and does is an odd way for a Director's Cut to go, and, in doing so, the entire balance is thrown off. Every time that balance tries to make a comeback due to what's probably the tightest writing in an adventure game, the stupid comsmetic issues like dialouge read in different volumes of a cut scene fizzing out slap you in the face instead.

It's nothing more than Broken Sword on easy setting with extra content held back for the real setting.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: September 10, 2010 (02:18 PM)

A couple of things in the last paragraph.

One that made a blossoming relationship, once subtle and human, instead forceful instead...

I’ve not been invited back to compile...

------------------------------------
I always thought that director's cuts were supposed to be "the way the director envisioned the game". If that is what the director wanted then they seemed to have done a bad job of it or did they? You don't suppose thet original design was supposed to be that way and the only way they could get that done was to insert things and thus botch up the game?

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 10, 2010 (02:28 PM)

Heh. Nice review. I was wondering how you'd compare this one to the old. I mean, I already knew you weren't as happy with it, but I was wondering how exactly you were going to put that into words, especially after already having reviewed this game effectively twice. To that end, I think you did it well here, and though I've never played a Broken Sword before, I know now what to expect from this one and not to let it deceive me.

Also, I didn't know you'd written a top-ten list however many years ago. Hahaha. That's kind of neat, and also a bit amusing, considering your thoughts on them.

You did a considerably good job on your proofing. I didn't find that much wrong here.

EDIT: Curses, CD: I caught those! hahaha. =P I'm going to leave the instead/instead edit in because I think he should take out the first one, not the second, though.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: September 10, 2010 (05:17 PM)

Thanks for those catches, the pair of you.

I can kind of see what they wanted to do with this cut: I think they felt a lot of what they cut was 'fluff' that took away from the main thrust of the story, which was the Templar mystery. I can appreciate the effort, but I can also reserve the right to point and make sour faces when they screw it all up majestically.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: September 11, 2010 (02:52 AM)

..oh, good. I thought "lounging" was some sort of perfectly ordinary American activity I didn't know about :p

Good review. So same old, I guess - the game makers mistake simplicity and straightforward explanations for good overview and involving story-telling. To the point where they actually have to change some of the scenes and the build-up..

I mean, that's something I still remember - the parts in the game where you actually could die if you did something stupid. The hotel scene, the Baphomet idols, the hospital..

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: September 19, 2010 (04:03 AM)

Yikes, sounds like they messed this version up rather badly. I hear you on the dissonance between the way George's original chapter's play out and how Nicole's new ones apparently do - the latter reminding me a lot more of Broken Sword 3 than of the original - and cutting George's dialogue is murder. That's what made the whole game awesome, especially since for all his smugness he's frequently outwitted by, well, everybody else.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 14, 2012 (12:32 PM)

Don't hate me EmP... I'm playing the Iphone version. Which is the director's cut. I do really like it thus far, anyway. I'm planning on reviewing it from the perspective of someone who never played the original.

Then I'll hunt down the PSX version.

I will admit that the handholding is already annoying. Why have such beautifully drawn environments if you are going to take away my ability to slowly explore them? It's like the game is trying to speed me along... "Okay, gamer, we've got a schedule to keep here. There's 150 rooms in this game and I want you to spend no more than a minute on each room. Click on everything blue, go go go go!"

Like already there are some items I would have overlooked had not the game put a big neon sign on them saying LOOK DOWN HERE YOU PRICK! And that's a shame becuase about the only gameplay in an adventure game is going back to look over an environment in which you may have forgotten something. As it is, it reminds me a little bit more of one of those children's Winnie-the-Pooh interactive CDroms.

Except it's got templars.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: February 15, 2012 (09:14 AM)

Trust you to side with Lewis. If he was still around, he'd gloating like crazy right now.

If you jump from this to the PSX version, you'll notice a lot of changes. The PSX version has some crazy load times, so be wary of that, but it eliminates all the handholding, isn;t afraid to kill you if you do something really stupid and adds hours and hours of dialouge the DC version cut for no reason other than because.

Still really sore, even now, how bad this re-release was handled.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.