Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Lewis's The Longest Journey review

This thread is in response to a review for The Longest Journey on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2010 (11:03 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Stop writing the reviews I was going to write almost exactly how I was going to write them before I write them.

I knew I should have dealt with you when I had the chance....

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 25, 2010 (11:07 AM)

You had your chance EmP! I remember you saying you wanted to write a TLJ review after reading mine what... two years ago?

This is truth, Lewis. This review is truth.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: August 25, 2010 (11:30 AM)

EmP: I'm working my way down a list. Jason has a copy. You'd better not steal anything on The List. ;-)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 25, 2010 (11:32 AM)

It has now become my aim in life to disrupt this list.

I'm dumping all console reviews from here on out to aim for random, retro PC games.

To the mostly forgotten draw of dusty CD-ROMS!

EDIT: Hear that? It's the sound of my laptop trying to load up my old, scratched copy of Nomad Soul. Ha!

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: August 25, 2010 (05:37 PM)

Very well done and I really liked this line.

I've begun to think that perhaps the medium shouldn't be getting so caught up in new and inventive ways of weaving tales

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 26, 2010 (12:49 AM)

I've always wanted to play this. Now you make me really want to play it. Excellent review!

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: August 26, 2010 (02:22 AM)

EmP: You're not allowed nooooooooooooooooo!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 26, 2010 (08:33 AM)

Anyone with an interest in a good story should play Longest Journey. No exceptions. And probably the best voice acting I've heard in an adventure game.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: August 26, 2010 (09:20 AM)

Lewis: Ha!

Zipp: Go play Broken Sword. Or you're dead to me.

board icon
Posted: August 26, 2010 (11:17 AM)

Which one?

board icon
Posted: August 26, 2010 (11:58 AM)

First one first. PC version preferiably, PSX version if you must. No other version!

Go now!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 26, 2010 (01:26 PM)

In Escape from Monkey Island, Guybrush breaks a sword and drops it down the sewer, remarking that it's a broken and very stinky sword.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2010 (08:19 AM)

I shall obey, EmP. PSX version it will have to be. Wonder if I can find it on PSN...

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2010 (10:40 AM)

I finally played Dreamfall this week too! What an interesting game!

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2010 (11:10 AM)

I really liked Dreamfall.

I'll do a deal with you Lewis: I'll finally get around to the TLG review and you do Dreamfall. I'm curious on how you found it.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2010 (01:20 PM)

I may be writing about Dreamfall elsewhere. But if not, I'll run it past Jason. Short version: loved the setting, atmosphere and lightweight puzzles (except the one in the underground bit with the stupid instakill trolls), but the story was disappointingly contrived.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2010 (01:22 PM)

If that's the sum of your review, then the tables are turned! I already wrote that review and even squared up on that exact example. Ha!

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2010 (11:16 PM)

Well, I beat you both to both of them, AND SAID THE SAME THING, so there!

Dreamfall was an odd experience for me, Lewis. I really REALLY wanted to like it and I think I did... a little bit. But after the epic adventure that made up Longest Journey and the in depth character of April Ryan, Dreamfall felt... flat.

And yeah, it's highly contrived. Or rather I should say it feels like it MIGHT BE contrived... the truth is, there isn't enough of a story there to know if it's contrived yet. And I guess the new games are coming out episodically at some random point in the future...?

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: August 28, 2010 (07:40 AM)

Great review, I loved TLJ. It has plenty of flaws that I'm aware of, but in the end it was an excellent experience.

Dreamfall... not so much.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: August 28, 2010 (09:29 AM)

However, Dreamfall does feature what I consider to be one of the most effective scenes I've ever seen in a videogame. Mainly down to Ragnar's phenomenal writing, and some fantastic acting.

Click here to see it and MASSIVE SPOILERS etc.

board icon
Posted: August 28, 2010 (09:48 AM)

Ragnar did have excellent abilities in writing. Even if this whole scene reminded me of something out of Parasite Eve 2.

Unfortunately, it's also a good summation of the game as a whole... lots of hints and big WAHAY! moments but without any real foundation to understand what it means or conclusions to tell you why you should care.

I go back to what I said in my old review... if the remaining games are good, then Dreamfall will become a celebrated game in my memory. But otherwise it's just carrying on a story that had ended quite well.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.