Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > tomchick's Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days review

This thread is in response to a review for Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 23, 2010 (05:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm surprised you gave it a 7, considering the negativity throughout the review. I guess I didn't mind a lack of a story considering the setup wasn't supposed to give them much breathing room for story. Though, I thought the "banter" they had throughout the game gave us a good idea where they stood with each other: they're not fond of each other, but they need each other to survive.

An interesting read, though.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: August 23, 2010 (05:18 PM)

Max Payne

clunky

not great

>:c

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 24, 2010 (11:20 AM)

Tom makes a good comparison between Kane and Lynch and Max Payne. I think he's right. Somehow dialogue like... "They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over. To make any kind of sense of it, I need to go back three years. Back to the night the pain started..." wouldn't quite work if spoken by a man sportin' a hillbilly beard and wearing a wife beater.

The real selling point for me on this review is the description of the aesthetic. While some of the sentence structure is a bit jarring, I appreciate that the reviewer had an eye towards the unique graphical style and was able to find the words to represent it well. It doesn't make me think the game was worth a 7 and the problem there is that I've never played the game... what I mean to say is that the review I think overpowers itself with its criticism beyond the ability of one praising paragraph to fix.

But it's a damn engaging paragraph, nonetheless, and the criticism that frames it is similarly well stated.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 24, 2010 (01:35 PM)

For me personally, what makes me so hung up about the review and its end score is that, for the first four pragraphs, he's disappointed about something that never really seemed meant to be: an in-depth story. I mean, Gears of War 1, a similar game, didn't have much of a plot, and that turned out to be a fine game.

I'm not trying to bash the writer, as he did make interesting reading material, but it is hard to accept that he thought the game was a 7 after all that he wrote. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he writes next, though.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: August 24, 2010 (02:07 PM)

I must say, it's fantastic to see such revered writing talent working its way into HG's ranks.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.