Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > goldenvortex's Cyber Shinobi review

This thread is in response to a review for The Cyber Shinobi on the Sega Master System. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 23, 2010 (12:09 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I usually don't comment on reviews that are quite THIS old, but I do have to say that this has one of the worst lists of supposedly bad titles I've EVER seen:

"Every series has one, even the most popular games have one, Mario had Super Mario Bros. 2, Sonic had Sonic 3D blast, Zelda had Majoras Mask and Metroid had the dreaded Metroid Prime on the Gamecube. Shinobi also had one of those bad games, the twisted and battered Cyber Shinobi released in 1990 on the Sega Master System."

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic, but my god that list takes the punch out of his argument (except for Sonic 3D blast, which sucked enough that some Sonic collections advertise themselves proudly as NOT having it included).

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: August 23, 2010 (02:08 PM)

I think he meant that each of those games is a black sheep, as in "not popular compared to the other installments." Aside from "Mario 2," each of those could certainly pass for a black sheep. (Even "Metroid Prime," which received a mixed reception from longtime Metroid fans.)

Now, the real problem is that these games are being lumped together with "Cyber Shinobi." None of those games are bad enough to be lumped together with "Cyber Shinobi." A more appropriate list would have titles like "Mario is Missing," "Sonic Labyrinth," and the CD-i Zeldas.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 23, 2010 (02:30 PM)

One of goldenvortex's favorite techniques was to find something that a lot of people like and, in an off-hand manner, trash it while talking about something completely unrelated. You'll find examples of that practice in a lot of his older reviews, though he toned it down some for his later stuff. It's kind of fun now to read some of his reviews and see how far out of left field some of those references really are. It's a shame, though, because aside from that quirk he was actually a decent writer who produced a handful of very good reviews before he stopped coming here.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 23, 2010 (04:12 PM)

Well, it's half way intelligent... because it certainly would generate press and get the review passed around by the internet bigots who love to disagree with the obviously extreme. But it also totally discredits the point, so... yeah. Don't remember what I was starting to say here. I'm watching The Maxx, it's kind've distracting.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: August 23, 2010 (06:06 PM)

Sonic 3D Blast wasn't bad, unless someone was expecting a serious rival to Mario 64. I remember actually enjoying the game quite a bit when it was new.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.