Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW for August 8-14, 2010: OD's not as late as he thought! edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 18, 2010 (12:52 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm happy right now. I was under the impression I was well over a week late with this RotW, but then found out I was actually only about three days late! That's more typical of my performance with these things, so I'm right on top of my game!

Anyway, another really strong week for submissions with a lot of interesting games covered. Only one review per person eligible. And unfortunately, no reviews by me eligible, since I'm doing this thing. Damnit...

THIRD PLACE: Worms (PSN on PS3) by True

FUNFACT: I've never played a Worms game and really had little knowledge of what kind of game it was or what it was about. I'd heard its name mentioned a few times here and there, but that's it. That possibly got you third place over a strong crowd (I'm strangely depressed that Pickhut used "an hero" in a review before I did) as you filled me in on what this game is about, how things work and what doesn't work in your mind. A strong effort that told me what I needed/wanted to know about a game I didn't know much about...in other words, what a review should be.

SECOND PLACE: Wii Fit Plus (Wii) by fleinn

This surprisingly might be the best review of yours that I've ever read. I say "surprisingly" because of the game we're talking about here. I saw that I was reading a review for Wii Fit Plus, groaned inwardly and prepared for a quick skimming and quicker dismissal. Instead, I got an entertaining review presenting in the perfect manner to describe this game. The "diary" style of simply explaining what you experienced works great for a game such as this and your descriptions of what was going on were whimsical and amusing. And you do throw in some legit "meat-n-potatoes" with your description of how the interface came off as confusing. All in all, a very fine review.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (XLA on XBox 360) by JANUS2

After reading Venter's review of this game, I'd pretty much decided I wouldn't be buying this game, as it's devoted more towards cooperative online gaming and I never have really gotten into that. Your review offers an even more deep assessment of that, with how you mention that you get matched up randomly, so you can see online mode ending up being nothing but godlike near-immortals blitzing through stuff to see if they can find one more item. That's just one example of the detailed assessment of this game that you provided. Even better, it was an easy-to-read, fun review. I can't think of anything else I would need to know about this game after reading this. You just did a great job of covering all the bases without getting too long/dry/etc. And so you win.

Back to Lost Odyssey or God of War or something now. Peace, peeps!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: August 18, 2010 (01:01 PM)

..you know, I really had a nightmare about those smiling Miis. But this makes me feel a bit better.

(..also, I think Lewis' "Gratuitous Space Battles" review should have a mention this RotW.)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 18, 2010 (03:29 PM)

I think I'm late, now. For once.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 18, 2010 (03:30 PM)

Nevermind. I'm behind. Or... confused is a better word.

Time is a funny thing when you spend your days locked inside a nuclear reactor.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: August 20, 2010 (10:54 AM)

Thanks Overdrive, glad you like it.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.