Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotD: June 8-14 -- the return of the arcade!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 18, 2008 (01:07 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Very strong collection of reviews this time. I actually had to put more than the usual half-assed thought and deliberation into picking which three got my ever-desirable STAMP OF APPROVAL, as all nine (by eight folk) were very good reads. So, if you're not listed, don't be sad and start cutting yourself to cope, as the problem probably wasn't you — it was just the overall high level of competition.

After those pleasantries, let's get down to TEH ROOLZ! Only one rule from a user may be eligible. That way, you struggling, starving artists don't have to read that Felix got both his reviews in the top three while you got nothing. Hell, if I feel like it, you won't see ANY of his stuff in the top three. Today or ever again. Even when I'm not doing RotW. Second, staff people aren't eligible. That's too bad, as I'd totally give the win to my MoH: Vanguard review, not read any of yours and just pick two recognizable names and give them inspiring comments like, "I really liked this review. You did a great job with.....words.... Cheerio, old pip!"

Alrighty, then, now that I've made a complete mockery of this process, it's time to give you the three reviews you can't live without.

Review of the Week: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (XBox) by pickhut

This review just flat-out impressed the hell out me. You took an older game that's been covered to hell and back, but did so in a unique way that made this review a way better read than I was expecting. You only the final two paragraphs actually mentioning the MGS2 game, while focusing on how the "missions" game was this intense arcade-like test of skills that actually can supersede the game. Reading this review made me think about how, with some games, there are optional add-ons that wind up so cool and challenging that they wind up actually being the most enjoyable thing on the disc. Kind of an unorthodox way of looking at this game, but one that I liked, as it was a fresh new take on one of those games a large number of reviewers not named Overdrive already have some sort of opinion on.

First Runner Up: Biomechanical Toy (Arcade) by drella

Well, first off, the TMNT you mentioned is Raphael. Rafael makes me think of some crack dealer/pimp. Take that away and this was a very brightly-written review. Your intro discussion how checkpoints can be a cool thing in some games, but how they don't necessarily work so well here was a great way to segue into how this is a fun, quirky little game, but gets broken up unnecessarily by the checkpoints. And the way you described that was great, saying that it's like breaking a favorite movie into five-minute intervals and interspersing lots of rewinding. Very well-written stuff.

Second Runner Up: Xevious 3D/G (Arcade) by Felix_Arabia

In the days of eld, I played the old X-to-the-evious on my Atari 7800 (making me one of the 11 people who owned that P.O.S.). Back then, I kinda liked it because I was young, dumb and didn't know better. After growing up a bit and sampling some NES shmups, I went down memory lane and could only take about 15 seconds of X-evil before turning it off....for good. Reading those opening couple paragraphs really gave me a vivid reminder of how I felt trying to replay that game. It was just old and so far outclassed by that point, it lacked any ability to maintain my interest. Then you go into the 3D upgrade and I'm reading (and seeing pics) of what seems to be this really nice upgrade to the old system. Then, you mention, the game goes on rails down tunnels, taking away from the atmosphere from the early parts. Very nice review of a decent game that just doesn't quite live up to its potential that just edges out a couple of others for third place.

And that's that. Tune in later as I make my shocking entrant into this whole arcade writing challenge thing and wildly speculate as to which game will be my first entrant in that (or just look at recent photo galleries if you want to spoil the surprise).

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: June 18, 2008 (01:22 PM)

Thanks for the mention. I wasn't sure how Xevious 3D/G was going to read for people. Nice to see it was good enough to finish third in a strong week.

Congrats to the that sexy little bastard pickhut and Leroux.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: June 18, 2008 (01:24 PM)

Haha. Loved pickhut's take on MGS 2. Congrats to him and thanks for the kind words (and typo catch) OD.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: June 18, 2008 (02:43 PM)

Whoa, wasn't expecting at all to get RotW with the competition that week. Thanks for the comments on the review, it was something I wanted to do for some time, but only finally bothered to write it up now.

Congrats to le.. drella and us... felix on their runner-up placements, and good job to everyone who put up reviews that week.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Muk1000
Posted: June 19, 2008 (06:08 AM)

*cuts self just because you said not to*

;_;

Nah, I'm good. Congratulations to pickhut and the runner-ups this week!

...hm. That's a good band name. "Pickhut and the Runner-Ups"

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than GoortereHeethot requested its removal.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.