Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > True's Worms [PSN] review

This thread is in response to a review for Worms on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 09, 2010 (08:13 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I grew up with a later version of Worms called Worms: Armageddon for the PC. I love that game, but it's not that much changed from what you describe here. There are 8 team members instead of 5, several different modes of play like Mission mode and Deathmatch, and, from what it sounsd like, it might be more customizable as well (you can name your characters and set your team's flag, accent, tombstone and special weapon, for example). There are new weapons but all the weapons you mentioned here are also there, though the super sheep does something else completely. (In Armageddon, you launch it into the air like like some sort of Sheepy Superman where you have full control of its movements, even turn it all the way around, until you make contact with an object or enemy where it explodes with tremendous force). Also, instead of saying Hadouken with the fire punch, the worm just says "Hiiii-ya!" like some kind of karate master. But there are two other weapons like the fire punch that may or may not have been added (the Dragon Ball (lol) and the kamekaze).

But the style of combat is the same, with the timed turns. I never had a problem with this though because to me, the strategy was entirely in how well you used your turn. I never had an issue with moving around, either, since usually often you're in range of another enemy, and if you weren't, there was a "weapon" (more like an item) you could use to switch to a different team member (with a limited number of uses, of course).

Dynamite was always my favorite - certainly better than the land mine - because of how destructive it was. I never had an issue getting away; if I found myself too dangerously close to exploding, I'd jump to try and get some distance more quickly.

Man that game was fun. You not enjoying the original version makes me wonder whether the version I played had made a lot of improvements with regard to what you complain about or if it's just a matter of game preference. I've never played Hogs, though, so I can't make that comparison, but that one does sound pretty cool in and of itself.

I like that you touched on the amusing and quirky aspects of the game. I think that contributed greatly to my appreciation of Armageddon; that style of humor is really great.

Anyway, good luck with this one. Even though we're on opposite sides of the preference line, I understand completely where you're coming from with this game, so I'd say it's definitely effective. I don't think I found anything particularly wrong with it, though I would add that headband is a single word; you've got it broken up into two.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: True
Posted: August 09, 2010 (08:23 PM)

Thanks for the feedback, Ben and Furry Face.

Crawling away from the dynamite may not have been that big a deal after I learned that jumping is a far faster way to move as opposed to just walking, but there were four or five times before I learned that trick that left me hurting.

Head band is one word?! Naughty Firefox. I don't know why but when I posted this, it said it was a typo so I separated it. I should know better.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: August 09, 2010 (10:41 PM)

Yeah I kinda agree with Ben. I'm tempted to pick this up when it comes out for the PC in two weeks or so and while the review wasn't bad per se it actually gave me a nostalgic feeling and got me excited for the game. Worms is basically made to be played with friends while joking around and taunting each other. It's basically like trying to review Quake or Team Fortress based on its offline bot mode. It exists, but is hardly the appeal of the game.

I still think you did a pretty good job with this one and probably wouldn't be saying anything at all if Worms 2 and Armageddon weren't two of my favorite games back in middle school!

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.