Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: July 11-17, 2010. Yeah, it's late...I've been busy...with stuff, you know?

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 28, 2010 (02:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The team tournament has two magical effects upon RotW. First, there tends to be a lot of reviews submitted each week, making this one hell of a tough dealie to get placed in the top three. Second, as a competitor/half-ass captain sort in the tournament, I tend to spend all my time playing games and struggling to write a review which inevitably loses. Which is why this particular RotW is coming out well over a week late. Them's the breaks, kids!

Enough o' that talk. One review per person eligible and all that!

THIRD PLACE: Left 4 Dead 2 (PC) by asherdeus

I don't pay attention to the antics of those crazy, obsessive fanboy types, so your intro had me amused. REALLY AMUSED when you mentioned how they did their "boycott" wrong by buying the game. I'd say the thing that got this review third place over a number of other deserving titles was how you simply did the best job of nabbing my attention with a clever intro that segued into a convincing review. You mentioned the additions and improvements from the first L4D to this one. Very effective stuff.

SECOND PLACE: Asteroids (Arcade) by Leroux_Deux

While reading this review, I could see why it possibly lost in the contest. It was a bit of a tough, in-depth read of an ancient game. Conversely, that is why it's placing so highly for me in this RotW. As a gamer who's been around since the olden days of Asteroids, I ate this thing up. I found it super-informative and it gave me a ton of great insight into one of those old classics from yesteryear. It might not be a review for everyone, but it was one that I loved reading, so kudos to you for that!

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Armada 2526 (PC) by EmP

Damn...I'm giving you another win. That sucks...

Anyway, I'm not really big into these PC strategy games. If you gave some sort of more technical description of what was going on, I'd have blankly stared at the screen for long enough to feel I'd given you your fair allotment of time, closed the window and never thought of it again. Instead, you gave a wildly entertaining description of your trip through the game. You mention things like treaties, keeping your peoples' morale high, the building of advanced weaponry and all that...but in the guise of a story. Just a fun review that kept me enthralled from beginning to end.

Pretty much the majority of unmentioned writers can claim some sort of honorable mention recognition. This was a great week for submissions, as virtually everything was of high quality and enjoyable for me to read — the sort of thing that, obviously, is good for the site. Now, it's time for Blu and I to iron out our plans for our 28th DOOM vs. DOOM match-up. This one is in honor of Zig, who loves DOOM vs. DOOM and wishes he could have it every damn week!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 28, 2010 (03:01 PM)

There's a new RotW milestone for me!

Thank you, old chum. This week really was awesome for the site, as it saw a huge influx of killer reviews, so getting the nod means a lot. Especailly since it's from you. It's killing you to do so, isn't it? Isn't it?

I've already said how much I liked Leroux's review, so I shall give him no further praise. Instead I'll big up everyone else with a special nod to Ash (who I'm glad to see back). Keep it up -- or I'll whine about more poorly translated Saturn games!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 28, 2010 (03:05 PM)

I might point out that the week of July 4-10 still hasn't been done. I'm only concerned because I subbed a review that week, although I don't know why that matters, because I already have all of the milestones and now clearly have nothing to live for.

Congrats to the three yahoos listed above me.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 28, 2010 (06:19 PM)

We all talked about it and you've been banned from ROTW Suskie. We just forgot to tell you.

This week's win is well deserved. Armada 2565 (or whatever the number is) is one of my favorite reviews on the site.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 28, 2010 (07:17 PM)

We all talked about it and you've been banned from ROTW Suskie.

That's cool. I think the damage is done by now anyway.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 28, 2010 (09:07 PM)

With no permanent replacement for Rand and Schultz being buried by judging 12 reviews a week, keeping up has been hard. Hell, I was way late because I needed to finish Enchanted Arms and write a review last week..and then I needed time to read and critique double-digit reviews (I hate not doing any RotW judging in one sitting), which delayed me longer.

If Schultz can't get to it or rather would not, since he is judging an extending contest on a weekly basis, I'll do the J4-10 RotW. Probably either this weekend or next Tues-Wed. So, if you read this, Schultz, let me know if you're cool with that.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: July 28, 2010 (10:35 PM)

Then we just have to find someone to do Rand's week. Maybe Jason? Or Jerec?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: July 29, 2010 (12:21 AM)

If someone can post the weeks that need doing and the reviews that were submitted I can do them all by Friday.

EDIT: I looked at the dates. All we need are Schultz's week and cover for Rand this week. I'll do this week. I can do the other one, but I'll wait for ASchultz to say whether he's doing it or not.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 29, 2010 (02:10 AM)

Next few weeks are going to be hectic for me. Moving house and all that. Might not have Internet for a short while. So I'm not going to be reliable.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: July 29, 2010 (06:22 AM)

Oh, I must have missed Janus' post. That sounds good to me!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.