Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > louis_bedigian's Singularity review

This thread is in response to a review for Singularity on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: July 22, 2010 (04:11 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks for writing this review--I'm gonna check the game out now, despite having had some hefty portions of french vanilla already. ;)

I'd be remiss not to mention the Pepsi opening... I found it a bit jarring, because, how is Pepsi unique? Besides Coke tasting pretty much the same, there ARE tons of 'cola' derivatives. Aside from this strange lead-in, I quite liked this review.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 22, 2010 (11:08 AM)

Coke doesn't taste anything like Pepsi. For one, Coke is actually good.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: louis_bedigian
Posted: July 22, 2010 (04:31 PM)

I'm not one to get into review discussions...not usually anyway. But this one hits home: someone dissed Pepsi, and another said it tastes just like the other colas out there!

Let me start with some history: I love cola, Coke and Pepsi in particular. I love all things sweet actually. And I love going to new places and trying locally made colas. At Disney World, they have a great Coke store full of Coke-owned soft dribks from all over the world. Some are awful, but some are delish. The Coke museum in Atlanta has a similar offering.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, let's dig into Coke and Pepsi, the two most unique and most different soft drinks on the planet. Both offer a specific and ultra-delish taste that no other cola has. I've tried many -- including Whole Foods' "natural" cola, which is decent -- and none can compare.

I've always liked Pepsi more than Coke, but still love Coke. I had thought of using Coke in my intro, but that's so common, so I decided to stick up for the little guy of the cola world -- Pepsi.

FYI: I've been drinking Coke more over the past few months and sales skyrockted 16%. Coincidence?

Anyway, since I dug myself into this discussion, I might as well explain my reasoning behind the intro: whereas you can find many similar-tasting citrus pops, many similar-tasting artificial fruit pops, and plenty of super-similar root beers (the Whole Foods root beer is the best -- tastes almost exactly like A&W and has no sodium benzoate!), there is only one Pepsi and only one Coke. Rye, Faygo, etc., cannot even begin to compare, hence the secrecy behind the Coke and Pepsi formulas.

BioShock, up until Singularity arrived, was a "Pepsi" of the world, but not anymore.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 22, 2010 (05:01 PM)

RC Cola is actually pretty good, too. I would rank it third, behind Coke and Pepsi. I used to like Pepsi a lot more than Coke, but I've come around to Coke and so I'm happy with either one while going into the sipping experience knowing that I'm in for two very different tastes.

As far as actual review discussion goes, the concern with any analogy that you use--ever--is that it could derail your actual discussion. You don't want to have your reader still thinking about Coke and Pepsi when you're trying to talk about a game. That didn't happen here for me, but it did for others. Analogies are still a valid tool for writing and they can help to explain things, but I use them less and less these days because they almost invariably result in at least some confusion.

This was a great review, by the way. I really feel that I have a good grip on what it might feel like to play Singularity and it's on my "Maybe get it if I find it for cheap" list, not because it sounds like a bad game or anything, but because it also doesn't sound astonishingly excellent and I have less time for stuff like that now.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.