Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Dracula: Origin review

This thread is in response to a review for Dracula: Origin on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: June 11, 2008 (12:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Emp, this is a well written review. I gathered that the game was atmospheric, the puzzles were mostly great, but that the game rarely put your life in real danger, and there were incongruent intrusions which weakened the stew overall. You paint a vivid picture, which is something I haven't seen in a review in awhile.

Well done.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 11, 2008 (01:10 PM)

Thanks for the catches, Masters. I caught the or/of just before you posted this (and added the s on surronds a little before that for some reason). I'll make the edits now.

I'm glad the points I wanted to establish were made. I appreciate the feedback.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: June 14, 2008 (11:04 AM)

Great review. Been a while since I walked away from one with such a completele picture of the kind of adventure game. Sounds like I'd enjoy this one, in fact.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: June 14, 2008 (11:21 AM)

I know I told you my feelings on it, but I will now declare to the world that I, too, enjoyed this review a good deal.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Posted: June 14, 2008 (11:39 AM)

Thank you, both. It's not a bad game, but the settings are just odd. Poor Martin would get random AIMs at odd times of the day while I bemoaned such happenstances as the bloody crocodiles.

Sash: Maybe I'll slip the game in with the next tourney prize you'll undoubtly win at some point.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: June 14, 2008 (03:52 PM)

Ha. Yeah. This was a good review. For a minute, it seemed like you could actually die in a graphic adventure game. I've never heard that before.

But yeah. I liked this one. Though I've honestly never read Bram Stoker's novel and feel like a loser for it. I bet I'm the only one here who hasn't. I did ssee the Van Helsing movie, though... but because I didn't read the book, I didn't know he was the protagonist or whatever. I like how you went about explaining this, though - that the book and this title aren't really connected. I do have to ask, though, does this just take a whole new spin on the novel, substituting the old plot/time frame for a new one, or does it take place before?

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: June 17, 2008 (06:36 AM)

I don't see an error in the first, but thanks for the catch on the second.

As for the setting, it takes the ideas of Stoker's story and then weaves its own; it's not really connected strongly to the original at all and, in the fates and actions of the characters the two media shares, it can in no way be mistaken for a pre/sequal.

It's not a bad old yarn, but there are very clear spots where you can see the gulf between the differing authors understanding of the settings. Only one of them had to shoehorn a game around theirs, I suppose.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: June 17, 2008 (10:02 AM)

Sash: Maybe I'll slip the game in with the next tourney prize you'll undoubtly win at some point.

Works for me. One of these days I need to take a critical look at my PC collection and start giving away some of the, dare I use the term, chaff.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.