Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > jerec's Final Fantasy XIII review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy XIII on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 02, 2010 (04:49 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Didn't you originally like this game?

Anyway, I'm glad you finally wrote this. Pretty soon people will run out of things to say in FFXIII bashes. On that note, I think you're the first person I know to outright dislike the battle system. Most people, even those who didn't enjoy the game, seem to at least acknowledge it as one of its better aspects. But you did such a number on this game that I'm a little surprised you didn't score it even lower!

I think I'm starting to grow ashamed of myself for enjoying this game. It's got so much going against it, and every time I read a review like this, I'm nodding and thinking, "Yeah, that's definitely true."

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 02, 2010 (05:06 PM)

I did like it at first, then as I went on, I liked it less and less. And I'm pretty much an FF fanboy. This and probably FF2 are the only ones I've outright hated. Thanks for the feedback, too. FFXIII is still fairly playable, if only because you don't have to do that much, and I was still able to beat it, which is why I settled on a 3.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 02, 2010 (10:23 PM)

FF2 is hard to play, though I like the main villain a lot. He was one of the cooler villains in Dissidia, too. Sephiroth has long gone the route of just staring out into empty space while speaking in a monotone voice.

Funny, because in FF7 he's not like that at all. He's bat shit crazy and loud about it. Maybe not Kefka loud, but still.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 02, 2010 (10:25 PM)

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I've always found Sephiroth extremely bland and uninteresting. He dresses like a woman, hangs in the background for most of the story, and whenever he shows up he just mumbles nonsense and then flies away. And he gets his ass kicked by a complete pansy. (I'm referring to the flashback.)

Come to think of it, I can't think of many memorable FF villains. Kekfa is really the only one that comes to mind. Never did play much of FFX, though.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2010 (10:42 PM)

Jecht had a cool story but Seymour is a total failure of a villain. And his name is Seymour.

Fuck me.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: July 02, 2010 (11:02 PM)

Seymour was brilliant. Shut your face.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: July 03, 2010 (02:57 AM)

Golbez was pretty badass.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 03, 2010 (03:29 AM)

Seymour was about as badass as a boss gets. I especially liked when he was choosing between the lavender and the rose handbag. Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? Either way, Final Fantasy X was awesome.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: July 03, 2010 (06:40 AM)

..I thought this was a very good review. A good thread all the way through it, and I'm pretty convinced you're not making things up to fit with the opinion you've started describing the further down in the review I get. Specially like the part about gameplay and story. Seems a good way to describe it from the little of ff13 I've played - that the story is somehow created completely, after they've argued a lot in a committee - and they just forgot they had to let people play once in a while as well.

The only thing is towards the end, maybe - you're repeating almost the same phrase for choice in gameplay that you used for choice in story progression earlier. It's a completely different angle, and it's a good one that describes the context of the battle system really well. I'm not sure.. it could come off as looking like something random that was added to the end of the review (instead of the really good point it was)..?

But this was a really good review.

---

Oh, and you know what makes Sephiroth such a horrible villain? It's that the reason why he's mad - is that he knows he's just put in the story to create a motivation for the hero to kill him. He figured that out half-way in the game. Actually, he knows this from almost the beginning, so he just says: what the hell, man! I'm just a bunch of cells that happen to have a completely self-destructive will - so you know what: I'm going to enjoy being the bad guy, you piece of crap. If I'm going to die anyway, I'm going to make sure you suffer first and earn your strength because of ME!

I mean, it's not like he's really evil, is it :D You know just stabbing people at random a little bit and almost crushing the planet - works out in the end.. you know. :p

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2010 (09:03 AM)

Seymour was about as badass as a boss gets. I especially liked when he was choosing between the lavender and the rose handbag. Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Yeah, you're mixing him up with Kuja, again.

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2010 (04:11 PM)

Thanks for the feedback, fleinn. I'm not really sure about the line being out of place, I read through the review about three or four times over the last week and was moving bits around. But hey, if it makes a good point, I'll just leave them there. No harm in repetition. If it makes a good point.

Or something. Anyway, I can't edit it until after the judges are done with it.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: July 03, 2010 (05:24 PM)

..oh, crap. I completely missed the tournament thing again, didn't I. Sorry.. this is out of place, isn't it.. :/

..er..but no.. it wasn't that the same point was made twice. It think it could look that way. :)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.