Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > True's Split/Second review

This thread is in response to a review for Split/Second on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 01, 2010 (10:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Ouch, a racing game that doesn't let you mod cars. Unless you're the maudlin Mario Kart franchise or the oddly puzzle-based Trackmania series, that doesn't bode well.

Still sounds like a fun game, though, from the way you describe the scripted events. That's a cool idea for a racing game and, no, I don't think it's been done before except in a derivative fashion by ExciteTruck.

Some technicalities. These lines I think need work here:

"It didn’t make the mistake most do of simply mirroring aspects from popular franchises, all the while failing to add anything new that will entice loyal followers to jump ship."

That's a pretty awkward line. The "all the while" is confusing. I can't tell if you're saying that Split Second fails to add anything new or if it doesn't make the mistake of not adding anything new. Depending on which you're trying to say, I could make some suggestions as how to better word it.

"Split/Second does so within the first few seconds, thrusts you into chaos and introduces the one thing that makes it unlike anything I’ve ever played before: Power Plays--a momentary, unexpected twist in the environment that will level any driver in its path."

If you look, you never define what "does so" is referring to. I assume you mean it adds something new in within the first few seconds.

Thrusts doesn't agree, tense-wise, with does so. Should be thrusting. Same with introduces = introducing.

The colon makes this a rather long sentence and could read better if cut down and broken into two sentences.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: True
Posted: July 01, 2010 (10:51 PM)

Better?

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 02, 2010 (02:20 PM)

I actually dislike customization in racing games and do everything I possibly can to avoid dipping into it. I'm not big on customizing my car in real life, either. Talk about a fantastic waste of time! So it sounds like Split/Second will be perfect for me, since it doesn't suck my time with pointless features that are supposed to immerse me but only manage to annoy me every time I encounter them. Win-win-WIN!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 02, 2010 (04:08 PM)

Better, but I would still change this line:

It didn’t make the mistake most do of simply mirroring aspects from popular franchises without adding anything new that will entice loyal followers to jump ship.

It's confusing to say that something is good by pointing out what they don't do, at least within a single sentence. I think this would read better if it were similar to the following, but in your style:

"The game takes the best aspects of the popular franchises and mixes them with some very enticing new elements."

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.