Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories review

This thread is in response to a review for Resident Evil 5: Untold Stories on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: June 27, 2010 (10:54 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review and very much an accurate one. I've played both expansions now and I think you nailed it with this "extremes" approach. The mansion game is very much what RE would look like if it took the Horror route again while Desperate Escape is the "Survival" aspect. Both are really fun, but unfortunately I've lost my friend who used to play them with me :(

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 28, 2010 (11:48 AM)

Just get online and play with a random stranger. It's better in some ways --- like unspoken blame. Unspoken blame rocks when the focus of your hatred is a squillion miles away.

Thanks for the feedback!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: June 28, 2010 (06:34 PM)

Sort've like blind sex.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2010 (11:29 AM)

You're all over the place right now Ben. I appeciate that, and, by extension, this latest catch in my shoddy proofing.

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2010 (11:47 AM)

I believe this is all coming in preparation for an amazing ROTW from Ben in which he soundly rips every review submitted that week a new asshole. Ben is a master colonoscopist.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 15, 2010 (11:07 AM)

I dunno. Ben's feedback seemed pretty nice to me. =D

Not too much wrong with this as far as nitpicks go, though I will say that it does tend to run with itself in places and so can get confusing sometimes. Still a fun read, though, and much of that confusion can probably be fixed with breaking stuff down anyway. It's clearly written to appeal to people who've played the original RE5, as it probably should be, so that's good (although it probably also contributed to my confusion in places.)

...actually, now that I think about it, a lot of my initial confusion came from not knowing until later that Umbrella Stories was broken down into two separate games in one download, since you kind of just started talking about the first expansion.

Anyway, reading this is really starting to affirm my belief that RE5 is just a rehash of RE4 in Africa, which is kind of disheartening, though maybe there's more to it. I just know that a lot of the enemies here sounded like stuff you fight in RE4 only termed differently to fit their African origin. (Like, I imagine Manji are the African form of the Spanish Ganados in the other game). Further, the whole mission you describe with the gun emplacements and hordes of enemies sounds almost exactly like that part in 4 where you have to fight this huge area on the island except this time you don't have the handy helicopter to blow everyone up for you.

The second game you talk about sounds more interesting from my perspective since it sounds like they actually tried doing something "unique" with something very old. Though I'll readily admit that my genuine survival horror skills still need work. =P

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: July 15, 2010 (12:17 PM)

I've made the odd change, but I've also let things be. The biggest of these is making a big deal about pointing out that Untold Stories is two seperate chapters in crayon. I made a choice when I began to write this to be aware just how niche an audience I'm going to be reaching for here, and not to baby them. People who have no interest in Resident Evil 5 will, simailarly, have no interest in Untold Stories and anyone wanting to read up on Untold Stoires will already know what it is, and I'd rather not waste time and space laying that all out. I don't think there is anything to gain doing so, and would prefere to get right into the information that's (hopefully!) more relevant.

I appreciate the feedback, as always, as much as I appreciate that some of you would read this just because it's on the site rather than because you have an invested intrest in the title, but the review's already over 1,000 words!

WQ: Res 5 is Res4 4 buzzing off energy drinks. Res 4 proabbly doesn't have the amount of enemies Desperate Escape showcases in the entire game. I know the section you're thinking of, but that section was best snuck around, sniping and hoping not to attrack much attention. Even when you did, you got maybe five attackers. Only having five attackers in DE is what we call a breathing pocket.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: July 15, 2010 (06:49 PM)

Stingey isn't a word!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 16, 2010 (09:43 AM)

OK, fine. I was wrong about that one. For some stupid reason, I'd used the word processor to see if stingey was a word instead of the dictionary. I was also thrown off by the pronunciation aspect of the word, which is why I legitimately thought there were two separate words. /rambling

As for the other nitpicks, (minus any stylistic/content suggestions that have already been discussed at length), I feel confident that they're right. Which reminds me: I see no changes, not even the odd ones. =x Hahaha.

Anyway, maybe I was wrong about the game as a whole, too, then. I mean, I had the impression from the review that the first expansion thing was an intense fight for survival, but it still reminded me of things that had come before, albeit a much more extreme version of them. But now it sounds even more ridiculous than that. Not that that's a bad thing. It's good that extra content can actually be decent (more so even) for a change.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: July 16, 2010 (10:27 AM)

RE5 is more action tinted than RE4. You can tell: in 4, leon is followed around by a useless girl who you need babysit while, in 5, Chris is followed around by a girl with a shotgun. I think RE4 is the better game but, dare I admit, I have a lot more fun and sink a lot more hours into 5.

board icon
Posted: July 16, 2010 (03:48 PM)

I think RE4 is the better game but, dare I admit, I have a lot more fun and sink a lot more hours into 5.

Someday I'll actually get around to writing an article about the concept of "XXX is better, but I enjoyed YYY more". I keep seeing people say that.

If you're spending more hours on RE5 and having more fun while spending those hours, it's kind of hard to justify RE4 being a better game, isn't it? More finely polished perhaps, but better game? This kind of comment might just be a self-admission of whacked-out priorities, but such comments assume an objective scale of "goodness" that disregards whatever it is about RE5 that appeals to you.

So I guess I'm saying that you should stand tall and proud and tear down the sacred temple of RE4!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 16, 2010 (04:11 PM)

I'll put it another way. I recognise that RE4 is a better designed game and I recognise all the strides and accomplishments and bladda bladda bladda. But I'd rather just play Res 5 with a friend and blow the hell out of creepy black dudes who want to infect me with slimey oil snakes.

It's the same as saying that I appreciate the work that went into [insert award-winning movie here], but I'd rather watch Evil Dead 2 again.

board icon
Posted: July 16, 2010 (04:57 PM)

The Thin Red Line sucked.

Your review is cool.

//Zig

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.