Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > General Chatter > Writing Thread mk. II

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: June 25, 2010 (01:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The first non-review writing thread seems to have vanished into the great Internet Ether. So here's attempt numero dos.

THE DEAL: Posting works of your writing that are not video game reviews (although I would hope that would be obvious), harlequin fanfic stories about Naruto and Harry Potter fucking or any plagiarized material. Posting the above examples will get you kicked in the dick.

ALSO, if you have some type of blog or internet-related website of some sort dealing with this topic, or know of a really awesome one that should be checked out ASAP, go ahead and plug. But don't be obnoxious about it.

BIG LIST OF WRITING BLOGS TO CHECK OUT (will be updated continually)

rock and roll strikes back (dot com)- My Godawful blog. Originally meant to be a collective, it managed to quickly degenerate into me posting alone.

Large Prime Numbers- Blatant inspiration for my blog. Run by apparent internet pariah Tim Rogers, your enjoyment may vary.

Tumblr's "Creative Writing" directory- Everyone just point and laugh.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: June 25, 2010 (01:59 PM)

Written by me last night (technically one thirty in the morning):

You've got nothing

It’s three A.M and I find myself sitting in a very uncomfortable chair. This chair is the kind of chair you would expect to see at Your Local Thrift Store, finding itself unsold, slowly degrading each time you see it. It’s covered in this bumpy, ugly orange material with almost no padding between both it and the apparently fossilized wood cruelly molded into the form of this torture device. I’m afraid to stand up out of it, though. It may have given me Scoliosis.

I’m sitting here listening to somebody tell a joke. It’s not a very funny one, though; it’s one of those extremely racist jokes that begins with the classic, “I’m not racist, but…” and ends with a paraphrased form of the heavy metal catchphrase, “Kill ‘Em All!” I guess it would be funny if I were like, fourteen years old and retarded. I’m not. I’m a grown man bending my bones like wire in this awful seat wondering about the type of company I keep. My brain and I have a conversation. I ask what we should do now. “Take a drink,” is the answer, and Lord, is that ever a hell of an answer.

The bottle in my dominant hand (that would be my right one) reaches my lips and gives me a kiss sweeter than that of any woman. A mixture of finely brewed poisons breaks off into different squads infiltrating my brain and my stomach and the tips of my fingers. The small group in the room with me are laughing at the joke. One of them turns to me with a fake smile and quietly tells me a rhetorical question (the tone did not end with a question mark), “Jesus Christ, was that horrible or what!” Nobody knows just who the hell the comedian is, or how he got here, but since it’s three in the morning he won’t be going anywhere so hey, let’s just humor the poor bastard. Suddenly, I worry less about the company I keep.

Time passes. The jokes about minorities have come to a thankful end. The asshole with the terrible sense of humor is passed out and given looks of scorn and some harsh words by passerbys that are unable to reach him in his deep sleep. I thought I heard somebody call the guy a “faggot.” I hope that was ironic.

His slumber was a sign of things to come. Things are winding down. What had been, before all this mess, a lively gathering of friends, associates and slightly tolerable folks, has now become a parade of tired eyes and numb limbs moving about as if underwater. I don’t watch much television, other than the channel that shows nothing but old movies. Sometimes you get gems like Rashomon or something with Audrey Hepburn. The rest of the time you get poorly made mysteries or alleged comedies starring complete nobodies who were only slightly less of a nobody even in their time. I always seem to notice something when I come to get-togethers like these: those movies always seem to have small parties in large homes attended by well-dressed, pretty white people tossing back martinis and calling each other “darling.” Time is cyclical. We are no different now than we were then. A bunch of white people downing shots of Jaegermeister and Grey Goose and cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon in expertly coordinated outfits engaged in conversations of absolute inanity. I think I may have crossed that fine line of self-parody.

The thought, combined with the liquor in my system, causes a negative reaction in my stomach. The bathroom is occupied, so I have to dash out the back door and lean my head over the balcony three stories high. The brown (or orange, hard to tell in the darkness) sickness violently smacking the pavement below is the only sound I hear. My eyes are closed, half out of drunken shame, the other half from my body’s reaction. When it’s all over, I haphazardly wipe my mouth with the sleeve of my jacket and lean back against the wall. All I can think is, Jesus Christ, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so alone.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: June 25, 2010 (02:12 PM)

Topic has been perma-fied (as much so as is possible). I'll post something more later...

//Zig

board icon
Author: True
Posted: June 25, 2010 (03:48 PM)

Ugh. I can't even navigate that Tumblr site without getting nauseous. It looks like the front of someone refrigerator. It's not artsy, it's just irritating. I went there in hopes to read a story or two, but ending up reading someone's blog about how badly they miss their boyfriend.

Maybe my comment about Free Press is a tad off...

On a completely different note, maybe we should have a contest after the TT is over to help build activity on this new topic.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: June 25, 2010 (07:36 PM)

Aw, damn! I'll have to repost and reformat my Sound of Tinkling Bells. In the meantime, I recommend my Chrono Break series. Yes, I know, it's fan fiction. But it's fan fiction technically, and not spiritually. It's really a very dark satire on the oh-so-happy stories of old school JRPGs. I've spent more time on it than I have on nearly anything else creative in my life (about three years, now). The only things that rival it are my film (also three years) and my Lone Wolf writings (8 years).

Anyway, I do post it here as a serious piece of fiction:
Chrono Break

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2010 (12:58 AM)

I finished another article/review of a concert I was at a few weeks back. It clocks in at about four pages, so I'll just link to it and post a short excerpt here (cut content can be found on my blog here):

"If Theodore Black could be described as, 'swimming the 100 meter meet through a body of cotton candy,' then It’s True could be described as, 'space walking through a saline solution and at the end, you meet all of your dead pets and find that they’re happy and healthy in this new existence.' Theodore Black had a sound that hit you physically and broke your body. It’s True has a sound that hits you mentally and breaks your spirit. The friction of Theodore Black’s dirty off-shoot of blues contrasted with It’s True’s silky smooth, seamless melody of experimental sound."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.