Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > louis_bedigian's Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands review

This thread is in response to a review for Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 20, 2010 (10:21 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

If you don't mind me being frank, I didn't like this review at all. (Of course, I never see you on the forums so it's doubtful you'll ever even read this.)

What I think I dislike about it so much is that you adopt a tone that implies that you're a series expert and that you know what fans are looking for, when in fact it's pretty clear that the 2008 reboot is the only one you've played. Your description of the control scheme was what got me, since you're essentially attacking elements that have been series conventions since 2003... except for the reboot. You explain what the game does without explaining what's wrong with it.

Like, why is the overuse of the R2 trigger a bad thing? Again, last generation's PoP trilogy was the same way, and most people would agree that it works spectacularly. I want to know why you don't think it works. Based on your description of the game's platforming elements, it sounds to me like you altogether just don't like this flavor of complex, acrobatic platforming, which is fine, but then why are you playing it? You also strategically fail to mention the time-reversal button, which is what makes this brand of instant-death platforming tolerable in the first place.

Lines such as this one are what annoys me about this review:

Just as he struggles to press the right button on the TV remote, players will constantly press the wrong button(s) while trying to swing, leap, climb, and slide through the environments of The Forgotten Sands.

See, it's that inclusive tone, as if you're expecting people to agree with you by default. Thing is, Forgotten employs a classic control scheme that PoP fans will be instantly familiar with. I was reading this and thinking, I don't know, man up and learn to play? You also talk about the 2008 as if it's universally regarded as a masterpiece, when in fact its poor reception by fans is one of the reasons Ubisoft when back to formula with Forgotten.

My point is: Who does this review address? Who are you speaking to? Describing your own experience and displeasure is fine, of course, but I get the feeling that anyone who's interested in Forgotten will shrug off this review.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: June 23, 2010 (03:14 PM)

Yikes

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: June 23, 2010 (03:20 PM)

There appears to be an HTML issue.

board icon
Posted: June 23, 2010 (03:45 PM)

That's not even what the yikes was about!

board icon
Posted: June 23, 2010 (03:53 PM)

Was I too harsh? I really didn't like this review at all.

Edit: Everything I do seems to scare you, Masters. WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM, MAN?!

board icon
Posted: June 23, 2010 (04:05 PM)

Stop yelling! You're scaring me! ;_;

I've actually never seen Louis on the forums either. He's written quite a few reviews though.

I'll have to read this one now that you've piqued my interest!

board icon
Posted: June 23, 2010 (04:07 PM)

I guess the review will make sense if you're not familiar with the series or if the only one you've played is the 2008 reboot (and you agree with Louis about it), but I just don't see how anyone who's been with this series since Sands of Time will be able to relate to this review.

I've read other reviews of Louis's and liked them, so this is really just a fluke as far as I'm concerned.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: June 23, 2010 (04:16 PM)

Well I've played all of the last gen trilogy and POP08, and I can see what Suskie is saying. This one puts the last game on a pedestal, but I'm pretty sure the general reception was "looks beautiful, too simple/easy." This never seems to make the connection that it's more like the trilogy and comes off disliking it for not continuing 08's style. When I read it I wonder if the game really is so repetitive and horrible or if he just doesn't like the trilogy most POP fans seemed to prefer.

Also: the former is overrun with repetitive gimmicks (such as spinning blades, swinging axes, and booby-trap arrows), most of which struggle to pay homage to the game’s revered successors.

I'd imagine it is quite difficult to pay homage to sequels that haven't been made yet.

_

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 23, 2010 (08:35 PM)

Louis posted in the E3 topic, but other than that he hasn't been terribly active on the forums. He's a great guy, though. Maybe the activity will change someday, maybe not. I think that a strength of this review is that long-time fans of the series have enough info here to know whether or not they agree with Louis, and whether or not they are likely to get something out of the game even if his stance doesn't suit them.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.