Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

foe_en_s4_b22.jpg

Forums > Submission Feedback > Ben's Super Street Fighter IV review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Street Fighter IV on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 13, 2010 (10:27 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is a fantastically through review. It makes me wonder just how much time you've sunk into both games. My money is on lots!

Nice to see useless, useless T. Hawk get another shot at relevance. £5 says he blows it.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: June 13, 2010 (12:18 PM)

Thanks! I have a few friends who are also into Street Fighter, so there's a rivalry going on between us, and that inspires me to get better. Super Street Fighter IV is definitely the game I've played most this year, more than Final Fantasy XIII, so I've been very into it. Nostalgia makes the Street Fighter II stuff still my favourite in the series, though.

T. Hawk was bad in Super II, but believe it or not, he's actually competent in Super IV! That definitely surprised me.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: June 15, 2010 (05:30 PM)

(rotw notes:)

This is definitely one of the better reviews I've read from you, possibly the best, and if you use words like "utilising" (USING!! Sorry, a pet peeve) and maybe focusing on the arithmetic too much.

The inclusion of ten new warriors is the most noteworthy difference, bringing the number of characters up to an extremely impressive 35. Two of the ten are completely new to the Street Fighter series.

"SSF4 pulls all SF4's characters, adds two new to the SF series, and brings back eight stragglers from SF2 and 3 that didn't make it into 4. Impressively, this fuller cast is better balanced than SF4." (X is nerfed, etc.) Maybe the description of the trials is too tangled, too. And saying "It's a bummer that it's the same game at the core..." when you've shown 1) it added a lot and 2) you liked SF4, seems counterproductive at the end. Don't apologize for what's not there. The only bummer seems to be wondering how you wasted time with SF4.

Still, the major positive is that I've read other reviews that veer into FAQ territory in genres I like better (though they may need the semi-FAQ treatment less,) but this one held my interest better, and that is saying a lot. It gave a view of how a player like me would be able to enjoy the game and learn quickly. That's no small task.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: June 15, 2010 (06:30 PM)

Thanks, Aschultz! I enjoyed writing this review, and I'm glad and relieved it turned out well. I did have a few worries like "How accessible is the review to non-Street Fighter IV players?" and "Am I going into too much detail?", but I'm happy with what I ended up with, and I don't feel like that very often.

I appreciate the negatives, too; I particularly agree that the "It's a bummer..." statement is a bit odd. I hope to get around slightly touching up the review in the next few days.

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Advertise | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Super Street Fighter IV is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Super Street Fighter IV, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.