Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Blur review

This thread is in response to a review for Blur on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: June 07, 2010 (09:55 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review that pretty much confirms my suspicion about the title without ever playing it. Seems like there are plenty of interesting ideas here, but for some reason the whole package doesn't seem to interesting. I'm a big PGR fan and not too excited about this, despite all the promises and new features it has.

Maybe I'll pick it up at a budget price.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 08, 2010 (12:32 AM)

I'm glad to hear that the review worked for you, sportsman. I felt pretty comfortable writing about Blur because I've played so many racing games over the past decade. I didn't realize just how many until I stopped to think about it. I do notice that my reviews are starting to get longer again, though. I need to watch that. There's no point in boring people and lately I often feel like I'm getting a little too close to "PC clocking" territory.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: June 08, 2010 (08:55 AM)

Well I was pretty interested in the title so maybe that's why the length didn't bother me at all haha.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: June 10, 2010 (01:31 PM)

I really liked your opening about the commercial and having seen that commercial I thought much like you did that this game should be awesome. Well, thank you for shedding light on that and filling in some holes I was wondering about. I found this review very helpful and very well done.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: June 15, 2010 (03:24 PM)

I liked this review as it felt more polished than the Picross review. I also like the introduction in the review, as pointed out above. So--taking my critic pen, what would I change? Not much...

But here's the big one. "Conversational" throw-aways which seem ok in real life when talking with our friends--but here we're talking to strangers so we can't get away with it so well.

That kind of sucks, but at that point we weren't familiar with any of the tracks anyway so it's not like it mattered. "This wasn't annoying until we got used to the tracks five races later." But then, that contradicts your claim that by the first race, you knew there were problems.

To be honest, This phrase is one of my least favorite, because you've given me no reason to believe you weren't. When people use it around me, I often look for an excuse to say so. If you're being blunt, say so. Or if you think they overdid the "grimy racing stuff, no sunflowers allowed to drive cars etc.," that's a good point.

This is tinkering, though, because the review is interesting, to a non racing fan like me, and that's no small feat. The 3rd paragraph is a good pivot as it described pretty much how Blur never lives up to other landmark games. The review seems much better organized than the game it looks at, and the end is a clever twist.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.