Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > OD RotWs the week of May 16-22, 2010

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 26, 2010 (12:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Things are different now, what with staff reviews being cool and the gang. That's good for this week, as it adds competition (only three user reviews submitted). Hopefully, I've included all of them, as Zig's Cotton was the last one on the little bar on the right of the screen as of today. If not, my apologies and you can all throw stones at Jason for not coding in a function to automatically make everything I need appear in front of my eyes. Zig's was from May 16 and since it was for the contest, I'd guess that it was submitted right around the early minutes of that day, so we're just going to say he had the first. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Now, we only have ONE RULE!!! With that being that only one review from any person may count. YAY FOR SIMPLICITY!!!

FUN FACT: Due to reading two of these reviews for a contest, that saves me work, as I know how I feel about them! YAY FOR LAZINESS!!!

THIRD PLACE:

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 26, 2010 (01:37 PM)

Thanks for the topic, as always, and thanks for the win. It has literally been years since I won a RotW or even a RotD topic, what with my ineligibility, so it felt good to scrape out a win with a review that gave me a lot of trouble as I wrote it. I must have written ten versions of the introduction before scrapping them all, and I pretty much always review in a linear fashion so that means that what you're seeing is essentially my tenth effort at the review. It helped that I spent so much time with it and that I knew what was important to the game. I'm pleased with the review, pleased with the victory and excited to have won during a week with such solid competition from other great writers. It's nice to know that I've still got it!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 26, 2010 (02:24 PM)

EmP was right... this is better now that there are more reviews to choose from.

Jason's review totally deserves the win this week. I haven't been excited for a Wii game in ages and his review is to blame for breaking that personal streak.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 27, 2010 (09:44 AM)

EmP is always right. I thought this was fact by now.

Thanks for the mention and congrats to Jason on some props. Even if, in my ego-driven mindset, I thought the entire introduction was a indisguised jab at me.

Admit that it was like a man!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: May 27, 2010 (09:54 AM)

Congratulations, Jason! I didn't read your review yet.

A lot of reviews were put up last week that I only had time to pick a select few, like EmP's King Kong and the IR2 reviews.

But I'll probably read these sometime today.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: asherdeus
Posted: May 27, 2010 (10:47 AM)

Nice to see you're still kicking, OD.

Jason's review is one of two that I've read in recent weeks for Wii games that have suddenly made me really want the system (the other was for Super Mario Galaxy II on my site). He did a really great job with the review and had me hooked from the first sentence to the last. But where he succeeded best was in identifying and explaining how AND why Tri's less enjoyable parts don't hold back the package. Most of the reviews I've read have either skirted over the bad parts or focused entirely too much on them, leaving me feeling like they didn't give it a fair waggle. Jason did both and the review is really strong because of that.

As for my review, I'm happy that it came out clear. It was only the third review that I've written this year and it was difficult to tackle. I actually didn't really enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I thought the introduction was a lot stronger than the conclusion and felt like toward the end I was just throwing an endless list of game features at the player without expanding on them well enough. But, from the feedback I've gotten here, it seems like everything was balanced well enough. Thanks for the feedback again!

And as for Emp ... I'm glad you got caught up enough to find enjoyment with the game, but I have to tell you friend, King Kong is ass, dude. The game is much worse than you painted it. Your review is really convincing, of course, but I couldn't help but remember my time with it and I just felt tired. Tired of killing the same shitty enemies, tired of feeling trapped in tiny environments as Kong, tired of the repetition. I really loved your introduction, but after that, my own thoughts took over and I couldn't help but spend the rest of it arguing with you in my head. Just a couple of things I noticed when reading:

"Showing a subtle levels of intelligence" - should be "level" or drop the "a"

"Jack’s options are forever limited; he can never fully rely on the rationed firearms dropped from the sky in aid packages to get him out of every jam, catches of steel spears" - unless it's a European thing, I think you mean '"caches" of steel spears' here.

Thanks again, OD, for the comments.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 27, 2010 (12:25 PM)

Thanks for the mention and congrats to Jason on some props. Even if, in my ego-driven mindset, I thought the entire introduction was a indisguised jab at me.

Honestly, EmP, there are times when you come to mind as I'm writing a review and I have to decide whether or not I want to allude to you, but this really wasn't one of those times. You're hardly alone in thinking that Wii doesn't have hardcore games worth trying. I'd say most gamers feel that way. And the comments weren't intended as a snipe, either, at anyone. I've played a lot of Wii games, so it's natural that I would know about some of the hardcore ones, but most people who dismiss the system have not played a lot of games for it (let alone hardcore ones) and the games that they have played give them no reason to launch an investigation into what they're missing. I felt that Monster Hunter Tri deserved props because it's hardcore and because it's extremely effective in spite of the issues referenced within the review.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 27, 2010 (11:08 PM)

Jason: As I said (in some fashion) before (and has been verified by at least Ashy), the greatest strength of that review is how you wasted no time in telling us how the game is frustrating and tedious...but do a great job of erasing that negativity by convincingly selling the positives to a degree that your statement about how the game's hardcore truly legit.

Ashy: Good to see you're still breathing, too. I was wondering if you were yet another of the dudes who were around when I was starting who got tired of it all. I can see what you're saying about your review and how you thought it petered out at the end with you talking about things briefly, but not explaining them, but I didn't see that as a problem because...

1. I'm very familiar with San Andreas and passingly familiar with IV. The functions you felt like you were brushing over to just mention them were things I knew about.

2. The GTA series is a very popular one. I'm guessing that a large number of readers will know what you're talking about...

3. ...especially because this is an individually-sold collection of GTA 4 add-on material. I would think that nearly ANYONE buying this already has GTA experience and that a very tiny percentage of purchasers are counting this as their first GTA experience. This game might be the perfect storm for a situation where it's totally legit to merely mention many gameplay ingredients in passing.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.