Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > asherdeus's Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City review

This thread is in response to a review for Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: May 22, 2010 (09:40 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Opinion follows:
You seem to like the game a lot :)

This is a very good sentence:
"Though time has passed in our reality, the two episodes weave their stories through the same timeline that Grand Theft Auto IV protagonist Niko Bellic inhabited, giving players the opportunity to explore the storyline from new perspectives."

Both a good sentence, and an explanation of how the story-telling happens. I wish you had tied this up to the.. retrospective style of the review, and maybe the references to the game-engine mechanics - a little more directly (..even if I have no idea how that could be done). Could maybe have used that as a framing device for mentioning it's a.. standalone expansion pack release for new and old fans of earlier GTA games, that kind of thing..

Like the review, though.

(Niggles:
"I had a lot of fun with most of the missions"
-might be good to avoid switching viewpoint in the middle of the text like that. Write "The missions are entertaining", or "I decree the missions to be objectively fun". Else you might want to make it clear that "even if /I/ had fun with the missions, misers might not...", or that "I had fun with most of the missions because of.... ..but there are problems such as..".)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: asherdeus
Posted: May 27, 2010 (10:40 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thank you very much for your feedback, always very appreciated.

I'm glad you noticed that particular sentence, as I thought it was probably the best line in the review as well. One of those sentences that I knew was extremely effective when I wrote it, delivering succinctly a lot of info on the game. And I think you're right - the review definitely could have been improved had I spent a little more time using that as the overall theme for the entire review. Thinking about it now, it seems so feasible that I regret that I hadn't approached the review that way before.

You're also spot on about changing the perspective halfway through. I think I just wasn't paying as close attention as I should have. I'll definitely fix this, as it's certainly the easier side of your critique to address.

Thanks very much for reading this and for your feedback.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.