Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > darketernal's Phantasmagoria review

This thread is in response to a review for Phantasmagoria on the Miscellaneous. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 14, 2010 (09:44 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hey, you're really finding your voice, DE! The last two reviews have been similarly funny and instructive!

I do think this one could've used a couple more examples from within the game. I was hoping that you would critique one of the FMVs or give us more examples of HOW those stupid characters are so stupid.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: May 15, 2010 (07:38 AM)

Time constraints will do that when you want to get the review done in time. It will probably be edited at some time in the future.

Idemo do dna....tugo ti i ja.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: May 18, 2010 (01:45 PM)

I was going through the review wondering if you'd at least give a mention to the considerably better final sequence compared to the game as a whole, but thankfully you did. And on top of it, you recommended the time Sierra *did* get this game format right, so it's all good.

Phantasmagoria was pretty creepy to me at the time, but this is nostalgia's brush. It was the first game I got to play on a PC majorly upgraded from the last family PC we had, so in gaming terms a completely new experience.

Mention of the music might have been good. The theme song (in which the Latin is actually authentic, and in fact a demon summoning) is among the creepiest VG music I know, and at least one person stops me immediately if I even hum it.

''Yes, yes...but apart from all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?''

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: May 19, 2010 (02:55 AM)

The music was actually mentioned, but my editor(read: EmP) cut it out for some reason or other. So all blames on that account go to him.

Though to be fair, I did play this game back in 1996 or 1997 so this review, like a lot of retro reviews was written mainly on the basis of memory and the gameplay experience. I for one completely forgot about the latin music(though it makes perfect sense considering the setting), but do remember how it changed to fit the mood pretty well.

Idemo do dna....tugo ti i ja.

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Phantasmagoria is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Phantasmagoria, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.