Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Metroid Prime Trilogy review

This thread is in response to a review for Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: May 09, 2010 (07:51 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 09, 2010 (05:40 PM)

Thank you, Bloomer!

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: May 09, 2010 (07:23 PM)

To add a few more words, it delivered the explanation of what the experience of playing Metroid Prime 1 was like perfectly. I always felt that would be hard to describe, because it's a pretty complex feeling... or maybe nuanced is a better word. It feels effortless, but to describe it requires like what you have done here.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: May 09, 2010 (11:12 PM)

I understand exactly what you mean, and that's part of why I had such a hard time writing this, especially since being able to accurately describe that experience played a huge role in noting where Corruption and especially Echoes went wrong.

I really enjoyed writing this, though. My reviews are typically too long (I'll say it if no one else will), so it was good practice to review three games in the space of one. And I'm actually happy with how it turned out, especially now that I've just gone back and proofread the thing. It's all tightened up now, hopefully.

board icon
Author: Fedule
Posted: May 10, 2010 (08:39 AM)

Wholeheartedly agreed with everything said here.

I often hesitate to bring up Metroid Prime in "favourite game ever!" conversations, because I know that as soon as I do, I will be challenged to put into words the intangible soul that makes it such a great experience. I could write volumes about all the little bits and how they all interconnect, but I just can't ever seem to do the game justice. It's like trying to explain the Gaia Hypothesis to a militant atheist. Needless to say, you've managed to sum this up very well!

I also think it bears repeating, for emphasis, how beautiful Metroid Prime is, and how a game that was made in 2002 can hold its own, graphically, in 2010, against some of the best our current hardware generation has to offer, and the best criticism we can find is that some of the textures look a little blurry. Truly, this game was ahead of its time - but in a good way.

•You cannot grasp the true form of Fedule's signature!

board icon
Posted: May 10, 2010 (11:03 AM)

That's what I meant when I said the game's beauty transcends technology. I've played the Trilogy version twice since I bought the game last year, and it rarely clicks that I'm not playing a current-gen game, because the artistry on display is still fantastic. You're right about the textures (the visible pixelation on Samus's torso during elevator scenes always bugged me), but I'm not kidding when I say the main reason I bought this set was to play Prime in true widescreen at last. And if the game is ever re-released on a future high-def Nintendo console, I'll happily buy it again.

Anyway, thanks for the comments -- I'm glad this all came through for you. I'm happy enough with what I've said about Prime that I'm wondering if I'll ever review it individually now. I'm also glad I hit the subject of the story, which is something people don't talk about much when discussing Prime but which I felt was a vital detail.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: June 17, 2010 (12:40 AM)

you know what else is bullshit? they took out the title screens! i could (have) sit there stoned for half an hour watching MP1's title screen.

great review. agree 100%. though i've kind of come around on Echoes a bit, it's not nearly as strong a whole but there are parts that are better than anything in MP1. like the Quadraxis fight, in fact the bosses in general were way better. the powerup guardians were great. then MP3 just has fucking Gradius "shoot the core!" shit.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: June 17, 2010 (01:54 AM)

Is there an option for widescreen or is it just the way it's optimized?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: June 17, 2010 (04:31 AM)

I'll add to the praise. Never played a Metroid game before, but I picked up the trilogy after reading this review.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.