Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week - April 25 - May 1, in the year of our Lord Venter 2010.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: May 03, 2010 (01:54 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The last time I filled in for RotW, I only had four reviews from three authors. This time I have three reviews from three authors. This is not allowing me to flex my mighty RotW muscle... but on the plus side, it does make my job very easy. I know our Lord Venter has some rules about there not being a winner if an arbitrary number of people don't submit. I mean, looking at the winning review, it would still win on a strong week. The fact that there's not so much competition doesn't take anything away from the reviews themselves.

It hardly needs to be said that only one review per person is eligible. And staff reviews don't count, because they aren't real reviews, and are simply illusions on the front page.

So, let's get on with it!

Wonder Momo - Felix Arabia

Wow, this review is short. But given the subject matter, I'm happy about this. You come in and say what needs to be said, and there's that strong, recognisable Felix voice there that makes this bite-sized review quite entertaining. This game really does seem stupid.

Final Fantasy XIII - eviltb

I know we're supposed to be positive in these topics... but really the nicest thing I can say is that it is an interesting angle to take. But when you take this sort of angle, you should avoid insulting the people you're addressing this to. And the comment about playing TMNT 30 times makes no sense. You can only 1000/1000 it once on your profile. But you are absolutely right about the structure of this game, and how the achievements just don't seem worthwhile. You sum up very quickly what you don't like about the game, which lets us know where you stand... but I wouldn't call this review effective. Interesting and unique, though. If you're reading this, let me know if you want some more in-depth feedback.

Final Fantasy XIII - Suskie

Now this is an excellent deconstruction of Final Fantasy XIII. There's not many elements to the game to talk about - battle and story, but I do think you effectively nailed it on both counts. I've played and finished the game, and I think I feel about the same as you do... though I might be a little harsher on the game if I get around to reviewing it. You did point out something that was on the edge of my mind about this game, and that's how narrow the perspective is. This world they've created is so fascinating, and it would have been amazing to explore it a bit more. Even in a story context - but most of it takes place moving through different environments, always running, passing through... The last bit of the review hit home exactly why this game is disappointing. I know I've imagined how great this game could have been if it wasn't so limited.

The Verdict

Suskie wins.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 03, 2010 (01:53 PM)

Thanks for the comments, Jerec. I hope you manage to write a review as well, because this is a game everyone seems to have a unique opinion about.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: May 03, 2010 (02:35 PM)

Thanks Dutch for liking my review for what it was. Congrats to Mike for his deserved victory. Stay tuned for my eventual FF13 review, which should be published sometime in 2012.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.