Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Final Fantasy XIII review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy XIII on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: May 02, 2010 (12:57 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Slight typo here:

. . .and Lighting (ugh) is the sort of stoic and valiant protagonist. . .

Also, if this doesn't win ROTW for frocobo, then I'll have lost all hope in humanity.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 02, 2010 (03:26 PM)

Thanks for the catch. Frocobo4ever.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 02, 2010 (09:10 PM)

I didn't have time to fully engage myself in the review, due to what we call a "salty" schedule in the film world, but this paragraph caught my eye because it's awesome:

"Most of the cast is disappointingly one-note as well, and you could probably surmise much about each of them based on their appearances and physical mannerisms alone: Vanille is a perky, overly effeminate pile of squeals, Snow has a popped collar, Hope (or Destiny or Inspiration or whatever his name is) singularly defines “angsty” in a genre where that word crops up too frequently already, and Lightning (ugh) is the sort of stoic and valiant protagonist – with caged emotions! – that doesn’t work nearly as well now that Lost Odyssey has so brilliantly deconstructed that archetype. Only Szszzhzh resonates as someone genuinely relatable, which is odd, considering he’s a black guy with a chocobo living in his fro (a frocobo if you will). With the game having a safe 40 hours for character development, I was hoping the cast would surprise me and rise above their generic outward appearances, but that didn’t happen. Oh, what’s that, Lightning? You call yourself that because you don’t want people to know your real name? Piss off."

Lightning totally needs to piss off.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 02, 2010 (10:16 PM)

I liked Lightning.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: May 03, 2010 (12:28 PM)

I was really intrigued by the line about Lost Odyssey deconstructing that character archetype. I haven't played it, can you elaborate a bit on that?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 03, 2010 (01:54 PM)

Sure. The main character of Lost Odyssey is immortal and has lived for around a thousand years. He inhabits the typical role of the quiet, stoic, non-talkative protagonist, which initially turned me off, but as you play, various vital memories are triggered in his mind. They don't relate to the central story, and they're presented as text on a painted background, with no visuals, no voice acting, and only the slightest hint of a score. I really can't do justice to how beautifully these scenes are executed or how well they're written, but they're touching, surprising and often devastating. It's the calming, almost sobering plainness of their presentation that makes them work so well.

Kaim (as he's called) isn't really bitter, angsty or antisocial; he's just a man who's lived a thousand years and has endured far too much for anything to greatly affect or move him anymore, which isn't to say he's an emotionless brick, but that he's already carrying quite a lot of weight. I've seen plenty of JRPGs use this archetype, but few, if any, that really explore that mindset. It usually seems like a lazy shortcut, i.e. using a stock character and then throwing in some contrived explanation for it late in the game. Kaim, on the other hand, is perfectly characterized. I sympathized with him more than I have for 99% of the RPG characters I've seen.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: May 03, 2010 (05:04 PM)

I'll have to pick that one up some time - and a 360 to go with it.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 04, 2010 (10:29 AM)

I, too, was sad to miss that one.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.