Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > blood-omen's Shattered Horizon review

This thread is in response to a review for Shattered Horizon on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: April 27, 2010 (04:27 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Cool review, I pretty much entirely agree with this one. I played it during the free weekend since I didn't want to shell out the money on a game with less than 30 players at any given time and it was a huge disappointment.

Cool idea and very nice graphics, but between the system requirements and lack of depth it's no surprise to me at all that this game didn't take off.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: April 27, 2010 (04:54 PM)

haha funny I just made this topic, guess the developers read my mind:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63501

Still underwhelming, but it's a start!

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: April 27, 2010 (10:55 PM)

I think the system requirements are probably this game's biggest obstacle. Given the standard length of development cycles, SH's requirement for DX10 means that it was conceived well before Windows 7 was an item of note on the horizon, meaning it was envisioned from a very early stage as Vista-yes, XP-no. It was then released around the same time as Win7, and thereby ran into the same problems that console release titles often have: with little to no preexisting userbase to support it, sales were less than stellar.

Smart move would have been to go the Crysis route, and make all the DX10-only content modular - though whether that's even necessary is doubtful given the existence of an app that unlocks Crysis' supposed DX10-only features on Windows XP.

Bottom line is, Windows XP remained the dominant operating system despite Vista's efforts to make people love it, and Windows 7 will be dealing with Vista fallout for some time before it starts to phase into common use - if indeed it ever does. Releasing a game that can't even be played on the dominant PC operating system is a shot in the foot however you look at it.

Addendum: Statistical breakdown of the most common operating systems on the web http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Assuming these statistics are accurate globally, I submit that when a game is playable by less than a third of Windows PCs at release, it's going to encounter some issues with sales.

On the other hand, it's possible I'm just talking out of my ass and bitter about the fact that I can't play Shattered Horizon.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.