Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: 4/18-24/10 -- Short, sweet and AWESOME!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 27, 2010 (03:29 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

And here's my new, improved format! Due to some argument/controversy thing from a few weeks back, my RotWs will be a simple, congratulatory deal for the three placewinners. Nothing too complex...just me saying why I like your reviews. Anyone wishing for more in-depth commentary may request it and I will be more analytical. But this is more of a "simple praise" thing.

Other than that, things are the same. No staff reviews. Only one per person eligible.

THIRD PLACE: NCAA Football 07 (XBox) by Typodragon

Pretty solid effort, that if nothing else, does a great job of showing pretty much anyone with a certain familiarity with this franchise, how little EA alters things from title to title. I have 06 and found myself nodding my head with just about everything you said. You might not have liked the game as much as I did, considering the lower rating, but I found your commentary to be spot on. Especially the part about the passing game. I've had many games where I've beaten the computer something like 55-10 and my QB was, say, 8-22 for 300+ yards and 6TDs. On 06, which means EA did nothing to tighten up the passing game.

SECOND PLACE: Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War (PS2) by pickhut

The greatest strength of this review: I've only played a few levels of AC4 and, despite the number of references you threw in about other games in the series (primarily 5), I never found myself lost. You did a good job of keeping things simplistic and gameplay-oriented, while bringing up things such as how the main tragic moment of 5 was treated like an afterthought here as a way to illustrate a certain disappointment with how this game didn't really do a good job of using the previous as a springboard. Good stuff.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Just Cause 2 (X360) by Suskie

Great review that basically tells me everything I need to know. This sounds like a fun-as-hell piece of art...I mean game. You do such a great job explaining how the sandbox elements work with the gameplay, that when you mention how your battle capabilities could be explored a bit more, I was looking at that as just a minor trifle, which seems to be how you felt about it, as well. Great work with this one.

And there's my week. Don't forget...if you want more in-depth and possibly insultingly critical commentary (depending on my mood and general drunkenness), just let me know!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 27, 2010 (04:11 PM)

Thanks for the comments on the review, Overdrive. Glad you liked reading it.

Good job to Typodragon for his/her's placing, and congrats to Suskie on his RotW!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 27, 2010 (07:35 PM)

Congrats to Suskie and pickhut doing a great job, as usual. Also congrats to Typodragon for finishing third. Nice to see some new talent hanging with the vets.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 27, 2010 (08:41 PM)

I felt better about that review than most I've written, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Thanks a lot for the win and congrats to Pickhut and Typodragon -- always great seeing new faces around here.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.