Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Muk1000's Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness -- Episode One (XBLA) rev

This thread is in response to a review for Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode One on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 07, 2008 (11:38 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a great review! I hope that it's not the last one we'll be seeing from you, and I hope you don't mind a little bit of feedback.

The first thing I would say is that throughout, the grammar was genuinely excellent. This is a long review and there were only two or three places where odd word choice or omissions snuck into the mix. Here's one example:

After some practice I adjusted to the view, but it would occasionally made it difficult to see how much my attacks were charged.

There, the word 'made' should be 'make' instead. That's the kind of error that I never see myself in my own reviews until someone points them out to me, since the spellchecker will never bring it to your attention.

Speaking of how long the review is, it really did feel a bit on the long side. It's actually only just over 1300 words, only around 300 over my own typical review length, so perhaps the problem comes from the size of some paragraphs. You might want to consider how intimidating large paragraphs can be to the human mind when drafting future reviews, and perhaps one or two of the more beastly ones in this particular review can be divided.

I did like the examples you gave, which really show that you've given the game's finer points some thought and communicated well what it feels like to play the game. That's the sort of information that too many reviewers tend to leave out, so it was nice to see it here.

The only thing I would recommend possibly cutting is some of the introduction. It seems like you went on a little bit longer than necessary about the Penny Arcade folks. I realize that it's pertinent, but your review is long enough that you might want to trim it down to just the essentials. Most people likely to read this review are probably doing so because they already know all about Penny Arcade and just want to see how the game fared.

You do a good job of describing that, of course. Like I said, I hope we'll see more of you around here. This was a polished review and I know I'd be interested in seeing what you think of some other games if you're able to keep writing on this level.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Muk1000
Posted: June 08, 2008 (04:21 AM)

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you liked it, as I was a bit unsure of it when I uploaded it. I did worry it was getting a bit long, but I wasn't sure what to cut out, so I decided to see what the feedback on it would be. I'll correct the little grammar mistakes but I think I'll leave the content the same otherwise.

Once I have something I want to review I'll send it up. Hopefully soon. I haven't beat many games lately, though, so I'm not sure what to do. I just bought Ikaruga on the 360 arcade... but I don't think I'll be ready to review that any time soon. >_>

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 08, 2008 (08:43 PM)

Aye, good review. I really wanted to play this game since I like Penny Arcade, but unfortunately I still don't have Xbox Live. Need to get it soon.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Muk1000
Posted: June 09, 2008 (01:56 AM)

If your computer isn't a relic, there are PC and Mac versions (and Linux) available, with demos just in case you're not sure if you can run it. Game should be the same (I've heard that it's easier to see on a computer but clicking constantly to move can be a pain).

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 25, 2008 (01:17 AM)

I'm glad someone reviewed this, since I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions, and I'm hesitant to spend my $15 before I have a secure job.

Everyone agrees the style and humour are good, but I've often seen the word "repetitious" come up in relation to almost every aspect of the game. What are your thoughts on that?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.