Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Rand's ROTW for 4/4/10 to 4/10/10

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 11, 2010 (07:15 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Wow! A whole whopping 10 reviews this week! Give yourselves a hand, ladies and gentlemen, for contributing so much content to the site in such a short amount of time. Alas, there were several I liked, but I have to narrow it down to three.

It was brought to my attention over AIM that last week's winner, Suskie, did not have his review featured. Just wondering if there is a particular reason for that or if someone simply forgot to do it. Anyway, on with this week's winners:

Third Place: Lock's Quest by darkstarripclaw

For the most part, you do a great job of explaining a bizarre tower defense game. What impresses me the most is how you manage to explain and provide examples of all facets of the game: enemies, player's abilities, weapons, items, etc, without sounding long winded. You provide several details, but everything is presented in an efficent manner to help elaborate your points. If I were to purchase this game and pop it into my DS, I know exactly what to expect. That's all I can ask from a review.

Since most DS games are shoehorned into using the touch screen gimmick either by hook or by crook, I'm glad you elaborated on how it's handled in this game.

Second Place: Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies by pickhut

This is perhaps the most efficient review of the bunch. You manage to compare and contrast this to other games in the series, provide an example of a mission that highlights the game, and discussing pertient mechanical aspects without droning on.

I particularly enjoyed reading about how you avoid the enemies' weapon of mass destruction in paragraph three.

The real icing on the cake is how you also include the post-mission grading system. As a person who plays the occassional flight sim, this is important to me. Some games have a ridiculously high standard for earning high marks, so I'm glad you describe how this game uses a fair grading system.

Good job of writing a concise, yet convincing review of a game you seem to enjoy.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner: Star Parodier by Felix_Arabia

Wow. I'm not even sure how to start gushing over this review.

Fantastic job of taking a colorful game and helping to augment said game with vivid word choice, colorful figuritive language, and writing that is as smooth as butter.

For some reason, I found the bit describing the PC's arsenal particularly entertaining. Maybe it's the "death by deep blue" phrase that did the trick.

All of the above helps instill passion without being over-the-top. Also, you manage to convince the reader that this obscure game is definitely worth checking out. Good job of using colorful language to paint a picture describing a colorful, zany game.

For bonus points, nice job mentioning it's available for download on the Wii. I was ready to kick myself for not noticing this game sooner, yet this little snipper cheered me up. Huzzah for Wii virtual console!

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 12, 2010 (07:24 AM)

Thanks for the comments on the review, Rand. Congrats to both darkstarripclaw and, especially, to Felix, who got RotW. Both wrote solid reviews.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 12, 2010 (09:43 AM)

I'm not sure last week's ROTW counted, as I believe the technical rules state that there must be four writers for a win to be given. There were only three last week.

Congrats to this week's winners!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: April 12, 2010 (09:49 AM)

Kudos, Felix.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 12, 2010 (09:50 AM)

We've had RotW's with only three writers before and no one said anything then.

I've been told that it used to be that as long as there was at least someone who submitted a review during that week, then there'll be an RotW. I was never aware that this had changed as I don't believe this has ever been officially addressed rather than merely debated.

Regardless of the truth of the above, the "as long as htere are three" has always been a rule. Inded, I believe even yourself have governed under that rule without any issue until now. I don't see why it should change.

Congrats to the winners anyhow.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: darkstarripclaw
Posted: April 12, 2010 (10:29 AM)

Thank you for the mention!

I do not do reviews too often, but when I do I usually have played the game enough beforehand to be able to recall all the little things and write it out in a decent enough flow.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: April 12, 2010 (11:44 AM)

Well, I've never really "governed" anything, outside of that one contest I held a ways back. On this matter, I quote Jason (in the ROTW official thread):

"Reviews from four or more individual authors mean that reviews should be ranked. If there are fewer than four contributors in a given week--which pretty much never happens, but isn't unheard of--then the reviews don't need to be ranked and they are not carried over to the next week. The person in charge of RotW for that week is still strongly encouraged to provide feedback."

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 12, 2010 (12:23 PM)

Ah. Alright. Fair enough, then. That's definitely a change from what it used to be, though. Sorry about that. Glad it's cleared up now anyway.

EDIT: Though truth be told, I don't think this is enforced very well unless someone actually remembers (as you did). When I filled in for RotW that one week, there were only three reviewers then, too, and that went on as normal. =/ I guess that's why I've been so confused lately.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: April 12, 2010 (02:48 PM)

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks, especially from you, Rand. It takes effort to put one of these topics together, so thank you for selecting me as the week’s winner.

I wasn’t sure if the review was going to fare well since I talk about a lot of other Turbo shooters, which, as far as I know, aren’t too well known outside of the likes only a handful of people on this site.

For some extra reading, here’s some literature on the game I was alluding to when I when I wrote the “death by Deep Blue” line:

My Deep Blue Review
Masters’ Deep Blue Review
A positive Deep Blue Review!

Congrats to Pickhut and Darkstar, as well!

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 12, 2010 (03:57 PM)

Zipp: Ranking reviews and awarding RotW are two different things, though. I think what Jason is saying is that if there are only three contributors in a given week, it's more probable to honor someone who doesn't deserve. I did that, once -- there were only three contributors in one of the weeks I did, and one of them was lousy. So I awarded him third place even though I said in the topic that it wasn't all that great and that if there had been a fourth contributor that week, he probably wouldn't have placed. Kinda pointless.

But yeah, Jason doesn't say we're ineligible for RotW in the case of only three writers per week, just that said reviews don't need to be ranked.

Also, congrats to this week's winners.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 12, 2010 (04:51 PM)

there were only three contributors in one of the weeks I did, and one of them was lousy. So I awarded him third place even though I said in the topic that it wasn't all that great and that if there had been a fourth contributor that week, he probably wouldn't have placed. Kinda pointless.

Ironically, this week I felt there were about 4-5 that were pretty darn good, but I had to limit it to three.

Truth be told, all except two (I think it's obvious which two) had admirable aspects. So the race is a lot tighter than I made it sound above. This week in particular, I noticed across the board everyone did a wonderful job of describing their respective games in great detail. I came away educated on several games I've never played, or in some cases never even heard of. Fantastic effort everyone, even if you didn't place!

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: April 12, 2010 (05:16 PM)

I don't have the power to add reviews to the featured list, so I've never really been fully positive of the ROTW rulings as far as numbers go. From a technical stand point, there are reasons both for and against featuring reviews in slim weeks.

Just to be clear, as per this particular situation, I think Suskie deserved the win fully, so I had nothing personally against him getting the ROTW. I had, and still have, no power over whether he actually gets featured. You'll have to talk to Jason or EmP or Zig. I'm sure they'll come around and comment soon.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 12, 2010 (08:28 PM)

Or I will, being that my awesomeness demands I supplant those three as elite man-god of this place. I had a review (Pitfall 2) featured in the earlier days because it took first place...out of two reviews submitted that week. For that review of mine (that features an 0-1 record in the STT because it's a 1600+ word review of an Atari 2600 game) to be included as "featured", Suskie's should be, as well.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: April 12, 2010 (08:44 PM)

I saw that edit!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 12, 2010 (11:30 PM)

I wasn't going to bug any of the mods about it since I don't care enough, but thanks!

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.