Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Felix_Arabia's Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 11, 2010 (06:46 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

There's a few typos and misplaced words in here. I'll point this one out becuase the others can be overlooked with ease:

Then you discover that the “real” ending can only be obtained if a certain listen of criteria centering on collecting is met.

List, I assume?

Otherwise, I liked the review. That one paragrapgh about the animal pecking order didn't make a lot of sense to me (though I was able to guess the meaning several paragraphs later when you discussed Ellie's includence) but otherwise found it an interesting review. I like the argument you take for the last third of the piece -- good job.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: April 11, 2010 (07:01 AM)

Thanks, EmP! The typo has been mended, and I made a slight alteration to the power hierarchy that you mentioned, so hopefully it makes a little more sense now. I appreciate it.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 11, 2010 (12:11 PM)

I also liked the review, but there's a typo in the elephant sentence that I couldn't overlook with ease. Go back and check that out. Something about a rat "an" scare the elephant.

Wow, the screenshots for this game show a weird choice of colour palletes! And who the hell wants to play as Dixie for an entire game? Too bad, because DKC2 was pretty rockin'.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 11, 2010 (03:29 PM)

Fix one issue by creating another! That's what happens when you make quick edits and don't look to see how they fit into what was already there. Thanks, Zipp, for noting that and reading the review.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 15, 2010 (07:19 PM)

You do a good job of striking an emotional chord with us SNES fans. It's sad to see that one of the last installments on this console is such a letdown.

Nice job of providing intricate details that only a real Nintendo fanboy would give a hoot about, like the missing Kremlins as the antagonists. Having played the first two, I would expect more evil lizard squishing. Never played this one. Seems I didn't miss much.

The conclusion is absolutely perfect. It sums up how so many proud franchises like this one have slowly fallen by the wayside.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 21, 2010 (09:13 AM)

Perfectionist critiquey stuff.

Bring on Necky’s nuts! This is a good reference.

series’ -> series

He wears little blue jammies./Rare went through great lengths to ensure that the last entry in the Donkey Kong Country series was the worst.

Are you saying it wasn't just their sense of style that was off? This transition seems odd. It's a bit accusatory. I mean, it can seem like they did that, because of stuff like that, but it's a bit too much of a swipe. Oh, and -to- great lengths.

It is a technically adequate entry, and one that was worthy enough to be labeled by Nintendo Power, at one time, as the greatest in the series. Take that for what it’s worth. Donkey Kong Country 3 is technically magnificent when compared to its 16-bit contemporaries, but the design is dreadful.

Bashing Nintendo Power also seems slightly vindictive. Seanbaby covered that. "DKC3 was technically magnificent compared to other 16-bit games, and it's held up decently. However, the level design hasn't." [follow amusing examples of Frozen Mountains, etc.]

Most of the stages are straightforward affairs.

This feels bland (contrasted with the accusations) and perhaps it's worth tying into the level design sucking--the graphics may've been new, but the levels weren't. And then maybe transition to that they didn't even make sense. I like the Gumby comparison, because Gumby (the show) itself is so simple. It just seems so stupidly unrealistic. At the core, yes, a game like Donkey Kong is, but there's unrealistic that works and stuff that doesn't, and I like how you sort that out. The Gumby stuff is very very funny & I want more of that.

Enough dillydallying.

Agreed, doubly...I've always found this sort of thing to be a cop out and an admission. Yes, it flows, but it's an admission. Really, I think it's better to say who gets kidnapped, etc., and move on. Perhaps I'm grouchy at my Very Smart Coworker who talks about Smart Subjects for 15 minutes before moving on to actual work--to loosen his friends up. He says that too. You're of course well short of that. But any dillydallying is too much in something you are preparing for publishing, for profit or not.

Then you discover that the “real” ending can only be obtained if a certain list of criteria centering on collecting is met.

You've stopped dilly-dallying here. This is strong.

In spite of liking the third entry the least of all the Super Nintendo Donkey Kong Countries, I still enjoyed what was offered long enough to play all the way through the game and then return to what I had already experienced through one go ahead and to try and find some of the things I missed the first time.

How's about, At least the fun from the stringent collection challenges offset the tedium of replaying a weak game. Things pick up from here, though I would ditch "sheen and polish" in what is a very good final paragraph--building up to taking the soul out of a franchise, with seeming diversity becoming more just branding everything everwhere--is what the whole piece could be. It feels straightforward and heartfelt.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2010 (02:43 PM)

Thanks Schultz for the unexpected, in-depth analysis. I really don't agree with any of it, as I'm very pleased with how the review turned out, and I think your suggestions are rather nit-picky and irrelevant . . . but I nevertheless appreciate your desire to pitch in!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.