Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Thexder Neo HD (PSN) review

This thread is in response to a review for Thexder Neo HD on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: March 23, 2010 (01:34 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Cool words, Ken.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: March 23, 2010 (01:42 PM)

Magnificent fable, Masters.

amidoinitrite?

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 23, 2010 (02:06 PM)

Thanks Felix.

Thanks Will... I think. Are you doing what right?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: March 23, 2010 (03:33 PM)

No, prob Masters. I found this to be a nice little read. I especially enjoyed the conclusion. I think it could apply to so many games obscure and barren games. I thought my knowledge of games was well-rounded, but I had never heard of Thexder until now. It makes one wonder, sorta like how Sho does in his Final Fantasy VIII review/fiction.

BTW, Will is striving for alliteration thanks to my unprecedented opening opinion.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: March 23, 2010 (04:14 PM)

Good thing you didn't play the NES version. I remember being similarly impressed--Transformers were big then--but it just didn't hold up.

Too bad it still doesn't, even on a remake.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: March 23, 2010 (07:16 PM)

Apple IIGS Thexder is 'da bomb', as the kids would say.

You can read a nauseating amount of technical information as to why that particular port went so well here, which is also a handy crash course on the Japanese PCs of the 80s.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: March 24, 2010 (09:14 AM)

Thanks for reading, fellows.

Bloomer: have you played Thexder recently, incidentally? Do you still think it's the bomb, or did you mean that it was when you played it back in the day?

I checked out your link; I remember liking Silpheed a good deal more than I did Thexder, and Ys was on another level from the two entirely.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: March 24, 2010 (06:52 PM)

On the game of Thexder per se - I still think it's pretty cool, but I always found it too hard. Remember that I don't play a lot of shooters, so something older like Thexder is about my scale. And I liked the discrete combo of something that looked like a platform game but was really more a shooter.

On DA BOMB comments - that was more about the IIGS version in particular being a superb game. Killer ingame sound fx and music, plays Moonlight Sonata over the title page. Just looks, sounds and plays great.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 05, 2010 (08:13 AM)

Who, aside from Masters, makes a Robotech reference? I half expect Ruder to turn up and start singing about the ludicrous amounts of days apparently included in the month of June.

I think you tackled this review well, though. It's clear that you understand the game's roots and you approuch it with respect, but aren't afraid to point out how its time in the spotlight is over, and the remake doesn't do enough to make it relevant. This earns an EmP-like thumbs up.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2010 (08:19 AM)

Why, thank you Gary.

Nice to have you back... more. Or something. =)

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: April 23, 2010 (07:10 PM)

This is a great review, except that you actually liked Thexder way back when. What's up with that? You should have played that Sega Master System game with the transformable robot instead!

//Zig

board icon
Posted: April 23, 2010 (08:17 PM)

Thanks Zigfriend. Which game is this, if not Zillion 2?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.