Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Final Fantasy XIII review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy XIII on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: March 22, 2010 (10:08 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You rated this game 0.81255863312 points lower than I would have given it. You are clearly a biased hack who runs a stupid website that gets off on upsetting the perfect balance of metacritic scores.

There, beat the douchebags to the punch. =D

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 22, 2010 (12:35 PM)

I'm confident that I awarded the game an extremely fair score, espiga. I don't anticipate that I'll hear from many who felt that I criminally underrated it. A score of 7 for a game like God of War III, though apparently warranted, calls more attention to itself. Like zigfried, I don't assign scores to shock or titilate. I assign the scores games deserve. :-D

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 22, 2010 (12:41 PM)

10 years ago, I upset a lot of people by giving Goldeneye a 7.

Some things never change.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: March 22, 2010 (04:38 PM)

Haha, I know, but I was bored at work and wanted something smarmy and potentially humorous to write about.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: March 30, 2010 (03:45 PM)

I thought your review was very well done. If I did not already have the game I would probably at least rent it based on the review you have here.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 30, 2010 (10:32 PM)

Outstanding. I like how the intro paints a picture of the dytopian society featured in this game. Also enjoyed reading about how combat can be so fascinating by combining different strategies. You really managed to make every aspect of this game sound interesting.

Although I've been one of the Final Fantasy skeptics since FF7, this review convinced me to try FF 13... except I don't own a Xbox 360 or a PS3.

One thing that bothered me slightly is I would've liked to perhaphs learn a bit more about this L'Cie character. Obviously, you didn't want to spoil to much, but since the intro was so great, I felt like I hit a brick wall going 80 mph when you name dropped the apparent antagonist and simply moved on. Maybe just a smidgen of background would be useful.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: March 31, 2010 (04:02 AM)

L'Cie is basically the word for what all the main characters become. Powered up people, given a purpose, feared and hated by the regular people.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 31, 2010 (11:53 AM)

Thanks for the comments. I've updated the opening three paragraphs slightly so that the L'Cie and their significance are explained more thoroughly. There's not really time to go into things any deeper than that. I want to avoid spoilers, but there's more to it than that: explaining any further will just invite questions with answers that invite still more questions with answers that spoil all sorts of twists and turns. Such is the nature of the game. I like the new text, though. Thanks for bringing its need to my attention.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: March 31, 2010 (03:11 PM)

To be honest, I still didn't understand the concept of L'Cie, Pulse L'Cie, Fal'Cie and all that until a few chapters in. Glad that game has a datalog.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 31, 2010 (07:48 PM)

Nice edit. In the initial draft, it read like it was one person, perhaps the story's antagonist. Somehow, the original draft did give me the impression that it might be like a virus or something instead, but it still wasn't clear.

This edit is perfect; you give just enough information without spoiling too much. I agree that sometimes you run the risk of simply creating more questions, which is the problem your first draft caused. This revision is fantastic. I feel like I at least have a handle on the general concepts in the game.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: April 07, 2010 (02:16 PM)

One interesting thing about the game is that losing a battle is not really "Game Over" but the choice to load a saved game or retry the battle again. On boss fights you even get the chance to change up equipment if you fail the first time.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 07, 2010 (02:48 PM)

It's actually a necessity in some battles, because your party changes and you're thrust into a boss fight without even a chance to adjust your all-important paradigms.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.