Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > bloomer's Karateka review

This thread is in response to a review for Karateka on the Apple II. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 20, 2010 (10:08 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Saw this in the looking for a good read box. Man, does this game bring back memories.

The bit with approaching the princess in a fighting stance is still to this day one of the most clever, not to mention humorous events in video game history.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: March 21, 2010 (02:17 AM)

Glad to be able to jog the memories. This review is about 10 years old so I'm not pining to re-read it, but I will take your compliment as reassurance that it's okay!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 21, 2010 (09:18 AM)

It's a good review. You did a great job of going into detail regarding the fighting mechanics, the two different stances, all the traps, and even that darn eagle.

The real icing on the cake will always be walking into the princess in a fighting stance.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: March 21, 2010 (12:02 PM)

Funny anecdote on the super punch. I remember in Prince of Persia - a game that owes a lot to this predecessor - I worked out a sword trick that works on every last enemy in the game, simply because the AI apparently forgets to try and parry it.

This one I really need to play one of these days.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: March 23, 2010 (03:15 PM)

I liked this game a lot better the second time I played it. I think this review encouraged me to do so. Yes, the bit at the end is terribly fun and, I think, maddened a friend's older brothers well before there were such things as emulators.

I think Karateka does balance patience and getting on with it well, although I didn't feel that way when I just wanted to get through it years after my friend's older brother-and-friends had trouble getting through.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: March 23, 2010 (07:15 PM)

I should do a youtube vid of the superpunch!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: March 26, 2010 (06:40 PM)

The promised superpunching video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ThZbenw0I

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: May 16, 2010 (09:06 AM)

That was a cool superpunch video. Here are a couple Karateka fanarts I found on the internet. I did not make these, and I'm not sure who did (they were uncredited):

//Zig

board icon
Posted: May 17, 2010 (02:04 AM)

Thanks for the comment and fanart.

The fanart shows you are at a level where you are ready to see this, uh, fairly ambitious Karateka inspired video:

http://bitcast-a.bitgravity.com/websitedown/mov/karateka_for_twid.mov

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.