Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Plants vs. Zombies review

This thread is in response to a review for Plants vs. Zombies on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 04, 2010 (07:22 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is very colourful, exuberant review. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it outside of a few small spelling and grammar errors, only one of which is blatant... except that I can't find it anymore. Huh.

If there were a couple criticism I could make, they would look something like this...

Your introduction seems to hint at some form of story that's included in this game, yet I can't tell from the review whether this is true or not. Did you take this story from the game or did you write it yourself as a clever "in" to talking about the game? That could be a little bit clearer, especially as this could be a good selling point for the game as it's quite funny.

I don't mind the strategy guide format of the review (AKA explaining the various strategies that could make up a sample game of Plants Vs Zombies) but what starts off as a strong and engaging exploration of different options for handling zombies becomes somewhat stilted at the end, falling into a series of lists about the various mini-games and items that loses some of its appeal.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 04, 2010 (08:05 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Heh. Thanks. Wasn't too sure how it'd come off, honestly. I know I wasn't satisfied with it after writing it for whatever reason, but that's since been settled after receiving rather positive feedback from other people.

Anyway, that little intro blurb was something I just made up to illustrate the game's utter goofiness. It's not part of the game's story at all. In fact, the game doesn't really have a story except for "Zombies are attacking your house. Stop them," but what it does have is just sheer cleverness that'll make you laugh if you find that kind of witty humor amusing. Examples would be at the end of levels where the zombies snd you silly letters trying to persuade you to leave your house or that they're done attacking. Also the almanac has brief descriptions of zombies and plants outside of the basic information (i.e. health, special abilities, etc), some of which are hilarious.

Indeed, the goofy aspect is something I'd badly wanted to illustrate with the review, but for whatever reason, actually writing it never manifested itself that way. I think that's what partly led to my dissatisfaction with it at first. That and the fact that I really had to rush it toward the end, hence the reason for your other complaint.

In any case, the confusion about story was actually pointed out to me the day after I wrote it, and so remained a concern despite "fixing" it. I thought I'd fixed it so that it sounds like the game is just goofy for concept rather than an actual plot, but I admit that "fixing" merely just meant removing the word "writing" from the sentence that reads something like "A game needs witty writing and clever concepts to keep it fun and interesting." (Strike indicating omoission). If it's still unclear, however, maybe I can do something else for that. I dunno. I did explain in the following paragraph after the intro, though, that that story wasn't part of the game but merely something representing the game's sense of humor.

As for the "stiltedness" at the end, I'm going to attribute that to finishing it off at 3 in the morning the night I wrote it. Really at that point, I'd just wanted to conclude it, and I'd felt kind of sad that I didn't mention all the other cool features of the game that keeps it fun and interesting. but, I also know I have relevancy issues where I tend to talk about the game too much in a review, so maybe I'll look at that last paragraph or two (I think that's what you're referring to) and see what I can do with it.

I'm glad you liked it anyhow.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.