Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: 2/21/10 to 2/27/10 -- Work is Burning Me Out edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 03, 2010 (01:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hark! Overdrive returns to do an RotW after skipping out on the last one for some reason or another. This one probably would have been done in a more timely fashion if I'd skipped out on it as well, as this is a VERY busy week at work with today being the only real chance I have to catch my breath. But, no, as a true hero of the people, it is my duty to give my insight to all of you.

The usual rules are in effect. No staff reviews, only one per person allowed (not a problem this week).

THIRD PLACE: The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (XBA/XBOX 360) by Ben

Very nice review that does a good job of not wearing out its welcome. You did a good job of explaining the fundamentals behind the cloning system and made this game sound interesting, at least. And I liked how you mentioned how this game's lack of difficulty works against it, as a puzzle game is supposed to be tough enough to give you a sense of accomplishment upon beating it. Hard to say more about this review...it was just a very solid effort without anything particularly negative about it.

SECOND PLACE: Xenophobe (Arcade) by LowerStreetBlues

This is one of those games that's always been in the "I'd like to play it, but there's always something I'd rather play" category for me, so it was nice to see such an extensive review of the game. I can really picture probably everything about how the game operates after reading this review. About the only complaint I have is that you really should have broken that fourth paragraph into two. I really suffered from "wall of text" syndrome there. Part of that (as it's not the longest paragraph I've ever seen) might be because you have a very factual style with little to none of the exuberant exclamations that other reviews use (look at my first place winner for just one example). With that style, I think shorter paragraphs might work out better to keep the attention of the reader. Besides that quibble, I really dug this review.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Hook Champ (IPOD) by JANUS2

This was a very good review. There was a nice infectious vibe here. You liked that game and showed a lot of excitement in writing this review and it works out well. You also do a great job of explaining the game's fundamentals and how the touch screen works to perfection. It's hard to find much of anything to complain about here...this is just an excellent review. I don't care about iPod app games, but I'm glad I read this review of one. I think the main thing I noticed was how you did a great job of tying together the game's wink and nod to those platformers of the 8/16 bit days with how it paves its own way with such things as the touch screen.

Also, I feel compelled to mention Guts' review, which made me laugh my ass off..but I really couldn't justify ranking it, as it spent more time ripping on people complaining about its difficulty than talking about the game. It was a good "counterpoint", at least in my eyes, though. And after a friend's unbelieving reaction to me telling him that, "No, Medal of Honor: Frontline (a game I'm playing now) DOESN'T have checkpoints," it really sunk in how the games of today (for the most part) bend over backwards to give players so many advantages that when one doesn't, you'll get "IT'S SOOOO HARD!!!" complaints. And that's that for me this week. Now, it's time to prepare for the buzzsaw that will be the next three days before my life returns to normalcy!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 04, 2010 (01:41 PM)

Thanks Overdrive. I wrote this one in a hurry, so I'm glad it worked out OK!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: March 04, 2010 (06:20 PM)

This was unexpected! Thanks for the placement in the topic, OD. And congrats to LowerStreetBlues and Janus.

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.