Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > LowerStreetBlues's Xenophobe review

This thread is in response to a review for Xenophobe on the Arcade. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 25, 2010 (06:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

A good review putting this game into context of time. I only knew it from MAME, where it was one of those ones that seems too fiddly control-wise to persist with. Ditto Zwackery, which runs on the same hardware I think.

For a second when I started reading this, I was thinking of Xybots, and that made me think maybe there should have been more specific description of how the screen was arranged. But when I remembered what Xeno was, and I see your initial description is totally right. So this paragraph really makes for a redundant story that didn't need telling :)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: LowerStreetBlues
Posted: February 25, 2010 (07:29 PM)

Good point anyway. I was planning on screenshots clearing that up better, but when I took them I realized they didn't look too good scaled down and with only one of the three strips in use, so I trashed 'em.

My message board signature!

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: February 26, 2010 (11:30 AM)

Good to see you submitting again, even though you never responded to my HGmail!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: February 26, 2010 (01:21 PM)

Let's clear this up, because I feel like it's the third time someone has tried to put the screws to me, radicaldreamer, hence why I didn't answer:

Never wrote under another account here. Never been here before September last year, maybe later. Not some old-timer, except in the sense I'm a middle aged adult, and I'm thrown off by the weird vibes around here. Not sure why I have to justify this to you, let alone anyone outside site administration.

Capice?

board icon
Posted: February 26, 2010 (03:54 PM)

Just curious.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: February 26, 2010 (06:04 PM)

Not that I think I have at all been part of any weird vibemaking, but if there's been this curiosity about you LSB that you say there has, it probably amounts to a compliment arriving by illogical means :)

When good reviews start materialising out of (relatively!) nowhere, I think a lot of folks around here think 'this person must be an already established reviewer'. Which leads to the next thought 'We must already know them.' And in that mindset, the 2 focus points for good reviewers have been gamefaqs and here. The core reviewing userbase on this site started out almost entirely as the people from the reviewing scene at gamefaqs, who left there variously for the attractions of this site and also because the gamefaqs culture was seen to change.

On top of all that, there's been a history of identity shenanigans - known writers changing IDs or writing other under names, to the extent this kind of thing has happened before, back at gamefaqs. IE - Someone sees a new reviewer and says 'You must be (such and such)...' no matter what protestations. I was guilty of doing this once myself back in more actiony times (like 8 years ago)

I hope this pile of political history maybe helps sort out any weirdness you have experienced and why. You've already said 'Damn your eyes, I am me!' which should be a good enough fob for everyone.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: February 26, 2010 (06:35 PM)

Great review! This was one of those games that seemed awfully popular back in the day, but has since been forgotten. You do a great job of recapturing the times while keeping an appropriately critical demeanor.

//Zig

board icon
Posted: February 26, 2010 (07:10 PM)

Well that makes sense, but I would think a writer using a different name would have reasons, right to privacy and such. But I guess open speculation is just as much a right too.

I'll take it all as wishful thinking, but for full disclosure, I have been to GameFAQs before. And I even understand the change in culture bit, since I know they're pretty much second fiddle to GameSpot these days. Interesting to know. Apologies for being terse.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 26, 2010 (07:24 PM)

What Bloomer said. I doubt anyone had any intent of being a creepy by-god stalker, but we have had a number of great reviewers either stop or go into semi-retirements where they come back now and then to give more content.

You burst on the scene with one high-caliber retro review after another, so I can see why people would be interested in whether you are an actual newcomer to the site or an old eFriend deciding to make a return.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: February 26, 2010 (09:34 PM)

I apologize if this inquiry was in any way intrusive, invalidating, or even just annoying. From my perspective I didn't even realize it could be perceived that way.

The community we have here is small and every one knows each other, so when a new person shows up, everyone notices. As Bloomer mentioned, we have had old-timers come back under aliases. When we actually get genuinely new people, they are usually much more rough around the edges than you are. It can be hard to tell because most people who stick around learn a lot and get really good, but I still remember the fairly modest beginnings of long-time writers like Emp, Suskie, or even myself. Since you said this was the "third time," it sounds like I wasn't the only one who had this idea.

My suspicions were even a little more sociologically grounded, so it wasn't just writing skill. We have a bit of an in-group mentality here with our own culture and norms for how we write reviews, how we view games, and even how we express ourselves on the forums, though that's not to say there are no differences between some of us. You seemed to fit right in with that.

Again, apologies. There were no ill intentions from me or anyone else here.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.