Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's BioShock 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for BioShock 2 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: February 18, 2010 (09:11 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

We might have disagreed over the first game, but we're in absolute agreement over the second, it would seem.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 18, 2010 (12:40 PM)

Does that include my gripes with the game's pacing? Like I said, I felt that was a major issue with the first game as well, and I never got the sense you were bothered by it.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: February 18, 2010 (02:54 PM)

I think BioShock overcame its occasionally clunky pacing by giving you a rather tasty carrot on a stick for the first two thirds. I guess you'd probably argue that doesn't excuse it, but it kinda did for me.

BioShock 2, however, just doesn't do anything particularly interesting for about five or six hours, preferring instead to spend a couple of hours teaching you stuff you already know, then send you on overly familiar fetch quests for the rest of the first two-thirds. The first level to impress me was the one with Gil. From then, it's phenomenal, but has kinda left it too late.

You're right, though: it's still a good first-person shooter that eventually becomes a very good one.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: February 19, 2010 (02:55 PM)

While I didn't agree with everything said (of course, that would be impossible), it was still an entertaining review to read.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: February 25, 2010 (03:24 AM)

Interesting to read what others had to say. I didn't realize there was a critique topic. Here's my rotw-ish shpeel.

This is a very good review--the best part being where you drop in the need to juggle plasmids and guns and that you -have- to use them even on normal mode, though it's set up well by the narrative. I can't really make any major big-scale suggestions to make it better, besides mentioning the Big Daddy a bit earlier, and maybe that's just because overall I'm a stodgy non-risk-taker and someone not familiar enough with BioShock.

Nevertheless I see how you're trying to build to a revelation, but I find it intriguing that the ancestor of the slow guys you had to blow up in BioShock is now under your control, where the powers and limitations are more realistic and believable. Then maybe you could throw in a sentence or two at the end about the useful things you notice as you trek back, which add to the plot. I know it's tough to work your way out of "It's a surprise, really. No, a different surprise than you'd expect."

Oh, I'd zap the "I mean" and "Truth be told" aren't necessary. And I don't like the shouting in the one-line second paragraph. But I already threw out a stodginess disclaimer. Maybe I haven't found a game worth yelling about recently, and that's my own fault.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 25, 2010 (08:00 AM)

Late thanks to Pickhut!

I'm glad you liked the review despite its conversational tone, Schultz. There's nothing at all wrong with preferring a more formal tone; it's just not the way I write and there's not much that can be done about that. I could certainly afford to trim the fat in places, though -- not just in this review, but in all of them -- so thanks for the suggestions.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.