Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > dagoss's Metal Storm review

This thread is in response to a review for Metal Storm on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: June 02, 2008 (01:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was really a terrific review of a game I've been interested in for years, but have yet to play (because I like to own actual carts, not ROMs). I'll have to renew my search for a copy of this.

Another game that was featured on the cover of Nintendo Power but went almost nowhere--and one I quite like--is VICE: Project Doom, which is fairly common and can be obtained inexpensively. Great game!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 02, 2008 (01:48 PM)

Wasn't part of the reason for this game being so obscure because there was a huge delay in shipping. A ways later, Nintendo Power had an article about some high-quality NES games that went below the radar, including this one. I think they said it was about 6 months after their review that it actually hit the shelves, so that might have affected sales, especially if all magazine coverage took place that long before it actually was released.

I think Vice Project Doom also was mentioned in that article, as well as Little Nemo: The Dream Master (which I really have to play sometime -- that game just looks sweet).

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 02, 2008 (01:51 PM)

I was just saying to Felix over AIM that this was a killer review.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 02, 2008 (02:53 PM)

Thank you EmP and HG!

Overdrive, if Wikipedia is to be trusted, Metal Storm was released in February 1991, a month before that issue of Nintendo Power (though presumably people were reading it in February). The only thing I can think of that really worked against it was its release being so late in the NES's life. It's also a "B+" on the rarity list, which is a good indication that it had a low production run (and also partly explains its obscurity today).

Vice: Project Doom is actually on a list I made of great games that don't have a review yet on this site.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: June 02, 2008 (07:08 PM)

I got this game really cheap when I was like 6 or 7 because I thought the robot on the cover looked cool.

_

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: June 02, 2008 (07:26 PM)

This was a good read. I actually own the Nintendo Power issue you refer to in your review.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 03, 2008 (07:12 AM)

I haven't read the issue; I only know that the game is on the cover and featured in a lengthy article. Does it contain anything of interest, or is it like a mini-strategy guide?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 03, 2008 (08:38 AM)

As I recall it was their standard picture-laden guide. I recall thinking the game looked pretty sweet back in the day, with some cool levels and bosses.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.