Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's SkiFree review

This thread is in response to a review for SkiFree on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: February 02, 2010 (08:37 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You know, apparently there's a way to outrun the yeti. Never tried it myself though.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 03, 2010 (02:12 AM)

You have to mess around with the game's speed settings. It's little more than a cheat method, and doesn't count.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: February 03, 2010 (06:57 AM)

Apparently there is such a thing as a free lunch, so long as you're a yeti.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: February 03, 2010 (12:26 PM)

Also, it doesn't work. Ultimately, you have to cross Yeti territory again and you'll just get eaten then. There is no town at the bottom of the hill... though that would've been awesome.

No, Ski Free remains the clearest message of the inevitability of death that's ever been created by humanity. Seriously, I think I learned about death from this game when I was, like, 6.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: February 05, 2010 (04:41 PM)

I actually managed to miss this game til now, somehow. My skier getting eaten by the Yeti was undeniably worth the minute or two it took to find, download and play this game.

Beats the heck out of stupid old Solitaire or Minesweeper.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 05, 2010 (07:24 PM)

I attended a private school for eighth and ninth grade. The one-room classroom for the older students, which included myself at the time, featured a shiny new computer with Windows installed. It didn't get a lot of use because we usually had other things that we were supposed to be doing and this was back in 1994 or so before the huge explosion of Internet use in classrooms (at least here in Oregon). There were two main programs that got use, generally more than the teacher liked. One of those was SkiFree. Everyone tried to escape the yeti but no one ever did. The other program that was popular let people type in words and the computer would read them in a monotone voice that was quite amusing to some of us (like me). You had to spell words awkwardly to get the proper pronunciation at times, but I enjoyed that program at least as much as SkiFree in spite of its limitations.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: February 06, 2010 (11:11 AM)

So, this game is apparently a metaphor for life, if I'm reading things correctly.

No matter how hard you try and how good you do, it's inevitable that you will be eaten by a yeti.

I've been saying that for years and now I find out that there's a video game that also subscribes to this truth.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 06, 2010 (11:34 AM)

By now that rule has probably even been expressed mathematically, but I'd imagine that bluberry could tell you more about that than I can.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.