Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Mass Effect 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Mass Effect 2 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: January 29, 2010 (02:32 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is a pretty nice review of Mass Effect 2. One of the things I really like about it is you stepped back and gave an honest re-assessment of some of the mechanics from the first game following your experiences with the new tightened gameplay. As someone who felt that the combat was underwhelming and the rover parts were boring, I find myself thinking that there's a good chance I'll enjoy the sequel more even if I'm reading a review by someone who absolutely loved the original game.

_

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: January 29, 2010 (07:14 PM)

Thanks, and I'm glad that angle worked. I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking ME1, and in fact it's difficult to explain why I love it so much. I did want to ensure, though, that my praise towards ME2 isn't just the fanboy talking -- the game really is that good.

The extent to which BioWare listened in on complaints reminds me of Ubisoft Montreal's stellar work on Assassin's Creed II, actually.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: January 29, 2010 (07:53 PM)

I thought the opening was a bit weak, but otherwise a stellar review. (b^_^)b

(hurr hurr see what I did thar?)

It's interesting that you mention the stolen borrowed Gears of War gunplay as a plus. Any other game I'd mark down for that, but I agree that ME2 makes it work. Perhaps because it's not trying to pretend it's original and groundbreaking and fucking it up by trying to reinvent it. Conclusion: Borrowing gameplay mechanics is perfectly alright, so long as you don't try to reinvent the wheel or dress it up as your idea.

Also, Armin Shimerman ftw. I like that he's the voice of half the salarians in the galaxy.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.