Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > fastkilr's Torchlight review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 25, 2010 (10:52 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This review has some good points--starting with the story is interesting but it switches too quickly to technical stuff. Perhaps the 2nd last paragraph could be bumped up to the 3rd, too, to give an idea of what the game is about. I think the review would flow better, and you could keep the details.

One of the games standout features are the pets. 1) game's 2) this switches from the previous paragraph and the paragraph can be chopped down a bit. I don't know--something like "While leveling up is straightforward, pets are a unique feature. They carry stuff around, etc. [and maybe weave in how they look]

I noticed it'd been a while since your last review and maybe you need to shake the rust off a bit. I had to blink a bit re-reading this review but it was worth it, and interesting.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: January 26, 2010 (01:27 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

One of the games standout features are the pets.

Being less adept at issues of style but an incurable grammar nazi, I'm going to have to point out that since the subject "one of the game's standout features" is singular, you want "is the pets" rather than "are the pets". If that looks odd, perhaps the whole sentence can use restructuring.

You imply the game is single player through the final paragraph's talk about the upcoming MMO component, but then sort of blur the issue by calling it a good placeholder for Diablo III. I'd stress this point more, as this is precisely what the deal is with Torchlight as it stands: hack & slash dungeon crawling at a budget price, but at the cost of being utterly, completely single player. Ultimately it'll depend on the gamer whether that's a deal breaker or not, but they need to know.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.