Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > disco's Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - The Crystal Bearers review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - The Crystal Bearers on the Wii. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 24, 2010 (10:17 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Your review was painful to read, not for its words, but for the game it describes. I played the first Crystal Chronicles and thought that was pretty bad... I haven't had much hope for the growth of that series since.

AND YET IT CONTINUES TO HAVE SEQUELS. MY. GOD.

At least they have a good art department.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: disco
Posted: January 24, 2010 (11:32 AM)

Yeah, I know. The series has gotten worse with each passing game. The sad thing is how so many other review sites gave this an above-average rating. If this is what passes for above-average gaming, I weep for the future.

Is there another word for synonym?

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: January 24, 2010 (11:39 AM)

The only thing that made FF: Crystal Chronicles a bearable series was the fact that Kumi Tanioka (whom I've met IRL and is an absolute angel) composed the music, and it was lovely.

But in Crystal Bearers, she's been replaced with some generic douchebags that can't compose nearly as well.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 25, 2010 (10:56 AM)

RotW viewing comments--this review was motoring along til after "Everyone judges him not on his character, but on their fear of the magic he wields."

"Unfortunately, the conspiracy that wraps Layle up, which jeopardizes the kingdom and heralds a new magic age, goes for the predictable xxx instead of looking at stereotypes."

A few stock phrases too--"rinse and repeat" and "sore thumb" feel like writing by inertia, and when you try for a story-review, these things are more noticeable, especially since the beach party and ballroom examples are funny, as is "mugging moogles" later--though there, the tossing furniture around bit should go with combat. Unless it's noncombat--in which case I think you have a trump card that noncombat recklessness is more fun than combat.

Some paragraphs are also a bit chunky, with the combat descriptions being hit into the ground a bit (and you might do well to link weak combat with too many mini-games more explicitly, earlier,) and I also think the graphics could be moved up. If people know the plot gets in the way of enjoying all this, it's a good thing.

The beginning and ending work very well, and I think you have a good idea of what you wanted to do. I have to wonder, though, given the timing of the review and how some sentences don't go together, if you weren't just trying to sneak it in before week's end, especially if you have a review queued for next week. It's still an enjoyable review, if not all it could be.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: disco
Posted: January 25, 2010 (06:31 PM)

Actually, I forgot about the weekend deadline until the last minute and didn't have time for any editing. >_< Thanks for the critique, though!

Is there another word for synonym?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.