Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Bayonetta review

This thread is in response to a review for Bayonetta on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: January 24, 2010 (01:43 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't appreciate you stealing my review and making it better.

Joking aside, it's a good review. Though, it was scary we kinda mentioned the same things in certain areas.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: January 24, 2010 (01:52 AM)

I think that just proves how cool (and memorable) those things were.

EDIT: Venter bought Borderlands instead of this. Together, our reviews shall inflict a thousand stings of regret!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 24, 2010 (12:51 PM)

Please stop posting Bayonetta reviews that make me want to go out and buy the game, folks. Suskie already screwed me over with his excellent Borderlands review and now the wave of Bayonetta reviews is tearing my heart appppaaaaaaaaart!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 24, 2010 (01:05 PM)

Yeah, the Bayonetta demo was enough to convince me, but truly I won't have the money to buy games until the end of February.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: January 24, 2010 (01:53 PM)

We are just trying to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiight!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: January 24, 2010 (02:55 PM)

I love the opening picture montage.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: January 26, 2010 (02:56 AM)

This so doesn't sound like my kind of game, although it's comforting to know that it does not necessarily share Devil May Cry's difficulty. I've long since had to admit that Devil May Cry is simply beyond me, much like the speed of my fingers was never able to match the strength of Iron Mike's fists.

Naysayers have been quick to leap on such elements (no doubt to protect the children who shouldn't be playing M-rated games),

I'd add a "to begin with" or "in the first place" or similar to the bit between parantheses (assuming that's what you mean), removing possible ambiguity.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: January 27, 2010 (06:45 PM)

Heh. Nice review. I think I remember seeing a trailer for this or something once and finding it potentially interesting, though I didn't really know what it fully entailed (of course, I may be thinking of a different game... like that WET one or whatever). Anyway, I like that you explain that this game can potentially offend a lot of people but that it doesn't really do that to be serious at all. I know that, in my case anyway, I'd be liable to focus on the fact that this just seems like I'd be playing as virtual eyecandy trying to kill things in the most provocative way manner (and I don't mean violence, which I don't have an issue with at all). So mentioning the fact that this sort of "controversy" is really irrelevant sort of puts me at ease with this, especially since I have a tendency to be biased towards a game with such features and therefore miss a potentially great experience because I chose to focus on something really insignificant.

Anyway, as for the rest, you really do make it sound as if it's just a game trying to go back to the roots of what a game should be - pointless fun without any deeper meaning other than to just kill stuff (or whatever else makes games fun), which is pretty cool in a way since most games don't really take that into consideration anymore. And the all the Sega references sound rather amusing, too, though I personally haven't played very many Sega games and therefore wouldn't catch very many of them, but that's hardly important.

Also, small typo (I think):

It's supernatural snuff

Do you mean "stuff"? or were you trying to be clever and I just missed it somehow?

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: January 27, 2010 (07:08 PM)

"Snuff" is the right word for what I'm describing in that part. The film 8mm will teach you all about it.

Thanks for the comments!

//Zig

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: January 29, 2010 (02:52 AM)

Ah but Zig... for it to technically be snuff, that lady who died thus would have had to have been killed for the sole reason that a person wished to record her death on film. It seems that Bayonetta would kill folk in such manner even if nobody was watching, just because that's the kind of person and/or game she is. If I read right.

Surprisingly, the film actually called 'Snuff' will teach you less about snuff movies than '8mm'. But it did have an awesome tagline - 'Filmed in South America - Where Life Is Cheap!'

Before any South Americans complain, this film was made in the 70's, is no good, and the hype was explicitly designed to shift units before anyone got to see the film and realise the horrible mistake they had made by renting or purchasing it.

They didn't call them 'exploitation flicks' because they weren't exploitative.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: March 31, 2010 (07:13 PM)

I was trying to decide whether to buy Assassin's Creed 2 or Bayonetta last night. I re-read Zig's review and decided on buying Bayonetta. Thank you Zig for helping me decide.

_

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.