Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Borderlands review

This thread is in response to a review for Borderlands on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 23, 2010 (08:15 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I felt that your review went on a bit longer, but it ended on a high note that was utterly convincing because of text that seemed to drag a bit at the time that I was initially reading it. I now want this game. My brother-in-law loved it and could probably swap plenty of those stories with you that you mentioned, and you've made it sound like something that I would thoroughly enjoy. Dang it. As if I really needed that... Ah, well. Maybe I'll pick it up anyway. Good job convincing me!

Side note: your first paragraph is missing one word in one sentence and has an extra word in another sentence. Might want to fix that once the review isn't as fresh in your mind. I'd stick around to point to specifics, but I'm busy scheming about how to pick up a copy of the game.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: January 23, 2010 (08:29 PM)

Actually, as soon as I subbed this review, I realized I forgot to proofread it, so hopefully I've gotten all of the errors ironed away since you read it. I was hoping to have it done before anyone accepted it, but you got on it crazy fast.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Billy_theMonkey
Posted: January 23, 2010 (08:54 PM)

What a simpleton this Suskie person is for buying into the Borderlands hype! It's almost as bad as Mass Effect! He should go play a real RPG like Persona 3. The pussy.

I drink your milkshake. I drink it up!

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: January 23, 2010 (09:11 PM)

_

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: January 23, 2010 (10:11 PM)

I thought it was a pretty good review and it's basically what I would say about the game. Only part I disagree with is the Fallout 3 bashing. The game was far from perfect, but the atmosphere was what kept me going, since the game was often not so great.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 23, 2010 (11:03 PM)

Quick question, Suskie, because I AM looking for a good co-op game. Is it only co-op over the internet or is there a split screen option?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: January 24, 2010 (12:50 AM)

No split screen.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 24, 2010 (12:58 AM)

Will, my brother-in-law regaled me with tales of playing local splitscreen on his friend's Xbox 360, never going online at all. Am I missing something?

I picked up the game, by the way, but I went with the PS3 version (which apparently has better visuals).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 24, 2010 (04:44 AM)

360 is split screen. I assume PS3, too.

I started out loving Borderlands but the game was such a cakewalk the longer it went on, I'm really struggling to find the motovation to finsih it. Though I'm happy to put this down to my gaming brilliance, I fear I may have overleveled by spending ages just wandering around aimlessly shooting things in the face. Even againt Mothra Jr, it was easy enough to just stand out in the open and plug him without much fear. It's quite annoying!

Solid review. Makes me want to try and find a harder difficulty level and try it again.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: January 24, 2010 (08:37 AM)

The game is basically one you play obsessively for about 2-3 weeks and never touch again. I put about 50 hours into the game in 3 weeks then got burnt out and am done with it. Luckily Gearbox keeps on pumping out DLC's, and the 2 thus far are both pretty good (especially Mad Moxxi).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Emp is right about being splitscreen. PC version is not (then again no modern PC games are without certain patches or console commands) but I'm almost positive 360 and PS3 versions are.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: January 24, 2010 (09:56 AM)

I've only ever played split-screen. So yes, there is split-screen.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: January 24, 2010 (10:00 AM)

Awesome. Well, you've convinced me, Suskie. Come March, this will be added to my trio-purchase (that would be the trio of Heavy Rain, FFXIII, and now Borderlands) to be enjoyed as much as I can in the break between terms.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: January 24, 2010 (11:19 AM)

Haha. Nice review Suskie. That battle with the moth thing sounds totally epic, like one of those instances that happens once in a blue moon, but when it does, it's like "Holy God, yes! I'm awesome!"

Sadly, I suspect it'll be 5-10 years before I get the opportunity to check all these cool current-gen games out. Oh, well, I guess.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: January 24, 2010 (01:06 PM)

WQ: Then you'll release a bunch of reviews that are like "what was the big deal with these?" and everyone will call you crazy.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: January 24, 2010 (02:02 PM)

There is split screen? Well what the hell, then...

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.