Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > TOURNEY: EmP & Boo Present: Because We Hate You.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 01, 2008 (11:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This has been a while in the making. Not for sinister reasons like careful planning and delicate timing but because both our systems decided to blow up one after another. Of course, Boo could have done this while I was on a PC KO, but he’s as lazy as he is rotund. He doesn’t even know what Operation Wolf is.

Here’s some backstory.

Before it became a winner in an OD-run tourney, the seeds where long planted for PO’ed. It wasn’t a long process and what it all boils down to is we saw a game we knew nothing about and pushed each other towards reviewing it. It worked; we found ourselves looking forward to reviewing this game that I had dug out from the dank recesses of my mind and, somewhere along the way, one of us said “we should do this for everyone.”

So, now we’re going to. BWHY is a tourney with a twist. We’ll be picking your game for you.

We’re not total monsters. You’ll have some say in the platform and, if you’re not willing to drop $10 or so in Ebay costs, we’ll work with you in ROMS or abandonware, but be aware that the odds are we will abuse this position and use it to torture you.

Your game of (our) choice will be worked out with you through HG Mail (or AIM). We’re not going to burden you all with real rubbish because we have to read all these reviews, after all. We’ll negotiate if need be, but the final say is ours.

The incentive: Win the thing and level vengeance on both of us.

Once you get your game, it’s completely up to you whether you go public with the information or not. Either way, the real aim of this tourney is to push you into a review you otherwise would have never written. Think outside the box, because you’re going to be airlifted beyond the boundaries.

We are now open for sign-ups. Don't be a bunch of girly folk, now.

DEADLINE:
July 27th

Judges:

Emp & Boo

Entries:

Felix
Sash
MartinG
Genj
Belisaros
DoI
CJ
Sporty
Suskie
Will
Vorty
Dagoss
WQ
Jerec
iamtheprodigy
OD -- Cyberdreams
DE
Drella
credit_card
Drella
Twilightauora
Crazyreyn
Darkstarclaw
Cairo
Ben

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: June 01, 2008 (11:38 AM)

Touch me.

Edit: The only console I own is an NES.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: June 01, 2008 (11:54 AM)

Give me a reasonable time frame to play the game in - time is ever so precious nowadays - and you're on.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: MartinG
Posted: June 01, 2008 (01:00 PM)

All right, count me in! Where's the fun in reviewing games you've chosen?

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards."
-Robert A. Heinlein

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: June 01, 2008 (01:00 PM)

I'll go ahead and enter, but I won't be able to start anything until June 20th.

_

board icon
Author: BELISARIOS
Posted: June 01, 2008 (01:01 PM)

I skipped the last event. But I'll be in for this one. Tell me which game I am to review through the mail system here, please.

I'd be willing to emulate anything old school or see what PSX/PS2 games there are as long as they aren't more than a few dollars.

It's like jazz music born from the souls of men!

board icon
Author: dragoon_of_infinity
Posted: June 01, 2008 (01:16 PM)

Sign me up, skipper.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bigcj34
Posted: June 01, 2008 (02:03 PM)

Enlist me sir. But I won't be able to get down to real work until the 17th of June, from good old English A-levels.

There three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: June 01, 2008 (02:18 PM)

Cool idea, I suggested this a while back in a reviewer chat and nobody took me seriously. =(

I'll try to get on AIM either tonight or tomorrow. I'm sorry if I haven't been around much on AIM lately; I don't have time to use the internet much anymore except for 3 minutes here and there.

Keep in mind that I only have a PC (with plenty of emulators) and don't want to spend more than $10-20.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 01, 2008 (02:44 PM)

Sounds interesting. I'm in.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: June 01, 2008 (03:09 PM)

I would like it known for the record that I am signing up for this under duress for super happy times.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: goldenvortex
Posted: June 01, 2008 (04:26 PM)

I'll sign up.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: June 01, 2008 (06:41 PM)

I want to sign up too!

I have an NES, N64, PS2, and DS (and thus PSX and GBA). Thanks to emulation, the only systems I could not conceivably review games for are the PS3, 360, Xbox, PSP, Wii, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Saturn. I can handle most PC games except those released in the last year or two.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: June 01, 2008 (07:38 PM)

Well, this certainly is different. Turns out I was wrong in assuming which contest you were putting together. I had based my assumption on something I saw on sportsman's archive page (he needs to update that, btw), but I couldn't remember which one it was.Until I looked it up just now.

Anyway, enough rambling. I would totally do this, but I don't have access to e-bay, or any electronic money transferring internet accounts, and even if I could get them, I wouldn't because I don't trust the internet with my money. Also can't download ROMs now because I'm on this useless dial up connection, so I might have to sit this one out. =( It makes me sad.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: June 01, 2008 (09:11 PM)

ROMs for old systems are very, very small. I'm on dialup now, actually, and it hasn't stopped me from nabbing Gradius II just now.

bite me EmP, at least I'm not so cheap didn't give up on PO'ed after one auction ended at the exorbitantly high price of $2.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: June 01, 2008 (09:13 PM)

also, the other thing is that it would be very helpful if you could get the ball rolling and post what systems you have, what systems you can emulate, whether you have a PC that can play 2000-ish games or recent games, and what if any nominal amount you'd be willing to spend.

also of note being that I have loads of old, low-value Xbox/N64/whatever games I'd be willing to send out if you just hooked me up with a few bucks for shipping, and I'm sure EmP does too if you live in the UK.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: June 01, 2008 (10:49 PM)

I prefer any PC game that I don't have to spend money on and something that I can ROM for NES/SNES/Genesis/Turbo 16.

I could also do (but prefer not to) any PC game that is $20 or less or any arcade game (pain in the ass to set up MAME again).

You could post my game here if you want unless it's supposed to be private. Then HG mail me and I'll inform you either via HG mail or AIM if it's no good.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: June 02, 2008 (12:47 AM)

I wonder if I could actually write a review for a game that someone else tells me to review. It'll be an interesting experiment for me. So, I'll sign up.

I have a 360, Xbox, PS2, PS1, GameCube, N64, SNES, DS and GBA. I can play old PC games that have low requirements. I could probably play a 2003 PC game without any problem (checked the most recent PC game I have). Anything from the 90's is ideal.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 02, 2008 (06:30 AM)

WQ: NES ROMs are still minute-long downloads on dial-up. You're doing this.

Boo: £2, actually. In dollars, they would have been paying me to take it.

Jerec: Best of luck, bud! I'll scour for an AU-only title.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: iamtheprodigy
Posted: June 02, 2008 (08:39 AM)

I could very well regret this but I'll give it a shot.

||

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 02, 2008 (09:06 AM)

I'll be in. Preferably pick something I don't gots to put money into, as I'm P-O-O-R at the current time. You know, like a ROM. I can handle that.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 02, 2008 (09:25 AM)

I currently have SNES, Genesis, and Sega CD emulators set up, and I think I might still have an NES emulator swimming around my hard drive somewhere. Realistically, I should be able to emulate just about anything reasonable.

As for systems I own, I do still have a Nintendo 64 and PSX, though getting games cheap nowadays is pretty tough. I've also got a GameCube, Xbox, Xbox 360, DS, and a PC that can run most games as long as they're not too demanding in the system requirements area. Note that some Xbox 360 games are really cheap if they're used, so don't leave that out.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: iamtheprodigy
Posted: June 02, 2008 (09:47 AM)

I have Genesis, N64, DS, 360, and PS2. I think I'd prefer DS or N64 but I'm willing to try others. Only thing is I don't want to spend too much, I have some cash but there's several things I'm looking at buying so I need to save up.

||

board icon
Author: bigcj34
Posted: June 02, 2008 (10:11 AM)

OK, if we're listing platforms here, guess I'll have to follow suit.

I currently own a Mega Drive, Master System (via Power Base converter), PSX (modded, so I can burn an ISO if need be), PlayStation 2, Wii, GBA and a PC that should run most PC games up to 2006.

As for emulation, my PC should be fine for consoles that have fully functional emualtors, that is, up to N64. I do frown on reviewing emulated games, as its not playing on the original platform and consequntly different controls and a differnet style. But if need be, I'll emulate.

There three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: June 02, 2008 (11:02 AM)

Emulate:
Arcade (MAME)
NES
SNES
Genesis
Turbo 16 (may be able to download some CD games)
GBA (and thus GB & GBC)

Own:
PS2 & PSX (I have experience with PSX emulation too if someone wants to give me an obscure ISO)
GameCube
Xbox
DS
N64
Saturn

No Dreamcast - hasn't been working well.

PC: The only game I've played on my Vista machine is Vampire: Bloodlines and it had frame rate issues when there were a lot of enemies. Plus my hard drive is quickly getting filled with music and I don't have an external hard drive yet. Probably not a good option anyway because of Vista.

_

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.