Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > genj's Akira review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 07, 2010 (10:07 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I really like reviews like this which tell me what these old games were about while being honest about their playability in modern times. This one is funny because it even questions the game's playability at the time when it was released.

I am a bit confused by the paragraph where you describe combat against the flying machines. Does the game suddenly turn into a full animation game? Is it an early example of quick time events? I'm not sure how the real time button pushing is applying to a game that you've described as pretty much a "select the text option" adventure game.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: January 09, 2010 (05:22 PM)

Because as I wrote "there are also several action scenes" in the game. Interspersed through the game several very simple real-time parts mostly consisting of shooting at things in first person. It reminds me most of Snatcher: graphic adventure elements with some minor shooting. I think I'll add in the word "real-time" to clarify. The word scene was probably also a bad choice on my part.

_

board icon
Author: ReachBeyond
Posted: January 09, 2010 (05:54 PM)

Hi, genj, i want to ask a question that has nothing to do whatsoever with your review.

Since you've played both games, i'll just ask it flat out, which game is better, Fallout 3 or Persona 4 ?

I hold your opinion very high , so please reply.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 09, 2010 (06:07 PM)

I'm not Genj, but I can tell you that it depends entirely on whether you prefer Western RPG or Japanese RPG.

Fallout 3 is a big sandbox "wander around and do stuff" game where the main point of enjoyment comes from getting really good guns and blowing people's heads off in a single shot while dressed in an Abraham Lincoln tophat. And it's got Liam Neeson in it.

Persona 4 is a very long-winded dating sim mixed with a battle system that is great except for being placed in some of the most boring dungeons you've ever seen. It's supported by a really good story and surprisingly immersive and detailed world, though it still falls into the JRPG trap of being all about friendship and conquering your inner demons.

Ironically, though both games feature a heavy "choice" system, ultimately neither really does it right, at least to the point where it feels like you can actually change the game, though Persona 4 comes much closer to achieving this than Fallout 3.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: January 09, 2010 (06:12 PM)

Haha, that JRPG trap is so true, though sometimes it's actually a good thing.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: January 10, 2010 (10:27 AM)

I enjoyed both Persona 4 and Fallout 3 a lot, but they are two very different games. Persona 4 eats many hours with randomized dungeons, fusing Persona, and light dating sim elements with an awesome turn-based battle system. Some people won't like the rogue-like RPG and dungeon crawling elements, but if you get hooked on the combat, you'll find yourself enjoying level building. I think what makes P3 & 4 work so well is the really good challenge found from even random encounters. Unfortunately Persona 4's story and characters aren't as good as the previous game's.

Fallout 3 is a very big, immersive Western RPG that I was totally hooked on. I thought I'd hate it because Morrorwind was "too big and nonlinear" for me to get into, but I ended up playing for 9 hours (!) my first day with the game. Though it's very different from Fallout 1 & 2, I really liked the VATS system, quests, and game world. My biggest grip however is the game quickly becomes too easy, and I reached the level cap only 2/3 through. By the end, I was picking off enemies with one shot of my magnum from far away and I found myself rushing to just finish the game so I could move on to something else. Even before then, the game does get a lot easier when you gain several levels and choose good Perks. Fallout 3 does have more replayability, but I frankly have no desire to play through such a huge game again anytime soon.

Ultimately I preferred Persona 4 because the challenging battles had me hooked up for over 60 hours and I mostly enjoyed dungeon crawling the whole time. Fallout 3 is also a fantastic game, but quickly becomes too easy.

_

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.