Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > aschultz's Wrath of Denethenor review

This thread is in response to a review for Wrath of Denethenor on the Apple II. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: January 04, 2010 (02:50 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I may be one of the only few who actually remember (and played) this game. I recall resting in a mountain cubby-hole to get hit points back and when I was able to see the map again there were hundreds (yes literally) of monsters icons on the other side of the mountain. I have been looking for this game for quite a while now but could never find it (C64 version). I don't want to play it again I just want to have it because I used to work with a division of Sierra.

Anyway, your review was quite fitting to the game I remember.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 04, 2010 (02:59 PM)

Thanks...I remember that too! Though I never found a perfect niche, I found places where monsters would be on the other side. I remember casting freeze spells to hook around when I was almost drained of HP.

I didn't realize the outside got so populated. I'm not sure how often monsters get generated or if there is a maximum--but yes, you did have to find niches there!

Also, I just realized that the author, Christopher Crim, has his own web page. In it he mentions he was 19 or 20 when he wrote the game. Those are mitigating circumstances I should write into the review. Crimdom.net is the site, if you're curious!

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: January 04, 2010 (03:26 PM)

I was shocked to see how many monsters showed up and was glad they ended up on the other side of the mountain. That is about the only thing I remember about the game - monsters everywhere - oh, and using torches that could never be put out forcing you to buy more and more of them.

(Thanks for that link.)

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: January 04, 2010 (07:47 PM)

It's pretty funny once you get a good spell and can blast the enemies--but yeah, having all those enemies nearby is intimidating.

NP about the link. You'd be surprised how many former Apple programmers have websites, etc. After I found three or so, I began to search a bit more aggressively. The most interesting one may be for Bruce Webster's Sundog, a review of which I meant to enter in the Brevity tourney. I still might, this year. Maybe you've got an old old game whose author has a web presence--crazy what can turn up.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: January 05, 2010 (03:15 PM)

A couple of guys I worked with in QA at the Sierra campus in Oakhurst have a web site. I have one myself but I suck at HTML so it just sits there and I mostly use it to transfer pictures and files from work to home.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.