Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > aschultz's Times of Lore review

This thread is in response to a review for Times of Lore on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 25, 2009 (07:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I wanted this game so bad when I was younger, based on a single screenshot in Nintendo Power that looked awesome. I talked later to someone who worked at the magazine around the time and he joked that back in the day, they referred to the game in the office as "Times of Bore." When I finally got it off eBay and played it for myself, I paid relatively little and found myself feeling grateful that I hadn't wasted the money on it as a kid.

Your review didn't make the game sound exciting, but it did make it sound better than the experience that I had with it. I've actually been meaning to go back to this one and to give it more than the cursory glance that I originally did once I purchased it, so maybe I will sometime soon. Thanks for writing up an interesting review for it!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: December 25, 2009 (11:29 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thanks for the feedback! It's great to know a review of mine is legitimately useful. I really got bogged down in the PC version, and it's kind of ironic that dumbing down an origin game made it better--after all, Ultima V suffered when ported to the NES. I remember racking my brains trying to beat the final dungeon in the PC version--then I realized I could heal a character just sitting there for 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit this sort of anecdote in the review without seeming self indulgent. Also, I'm not sure how playing the PC game may've ruined the NES experience for me.

I tried to find something to make ToL interesting, but it's not. Overall, there's nothing *wrong* with ToL. It just does little to distinguish itself. Hopefully my maps on GameFAQs will be a help too if you really just want to plow through the game. It's a good game to play when there's nothing better. It was another one of those NES completion project games nobody got around to, and another game I had more fun writing maps for than playing.

I noticed your screenshots & I would recommend fighting the giant--it's the one exciting moment in the game.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.