Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > PAJ89's Peggle (XLA) review

This thread is in response to a review for Peggle on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: December 22, 2009 (11:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Don't particularly care for the soap box intro. Yes, I understand what you are trying to accomplish here, but it takes almost two full paragraphs of introduction before you finally start discussing the game. There has got to be another way of writing a creative intro that takes up less space.

While your review is certainly informative and you obviously put a lot of effort into describing the game, I feel the writing could be a bit tighter. Some of the sentences read a bit awkwardly.

I don't mean to imply this is a bad review; you clearly covered all the bases and give your reader a good idea of what this game is like as well as to whom it may appeal.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: PAJ89
Posted: December 23, 2009 (02:27 AM)

Cheers for the feedback. It was very much an experiment for me; my natural style is more structured, but I figured as I'd decided on a 10 score I'd depart from that on this occassion.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: PAJ89
Posted: December 23, 2009 (12:08 PM)

That's exactly what I was going for. Explaining Peggle without playing it is pretty difficult, which is why I went for that opening paragraph. On italics, I thought it was titles and brand names but not totally sure. Been a while since I last saw you Ben, hope alls well with you. Merry Christmas, and all the best in the New Year.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: December 23, 2009 (05:14 PM)

My main issue is the first paragraph comes off as elitist. I'm just saying perhaps there is a better and less abrasive way of putting this.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: December 23, 2009 (08:02 PM)

I personally think it's a pretty darn cool intro, although I see Rand's point.

To a casual games gamer, you are going to sound elitist. Especially since you're the one who brought the word up! This might irritate Peggle fans briefly... but they'll appreciate that Peggle was so mighty as to make you see things in a new light. Especially since you demonstrate self-awareness of your elitism.

People who are big fans of Modern Warfare 2 probably won't take too kindly to it, and there's no redeeming revelation for those people (since they probably thumb their noses at stuff like Peggle, too). The intro will likely turn these people off right away. It's up to you whether or not you're okay with that. It's not inherently bad to turn people away.

To a fellow elitist like me, who also likes to do my own thing all the time, your opening paragraph has created an atmosphere of inclusion. Right away, I identify with you. I mean, the alternative is identifying with the unwashed masses... and who wants to do that?

So yes, it's a divisive opening that will have a variety of effects on a lot of different people. That's not a bad thing. Anyone who reads your review knows where you're coming from. And you want to share your experience with people like you. I thought it was a good experiment, and effectively written.

I would actually say the gameplay bits are the ones that start to drag. The problem with really super-cool puzzle/casual games is that when you describe the gameplay in writing, they almost always sound a lot less cool to the world. I have a clear idea of how the game plays, but that doesn't make me want to actually go and play it. My general suggestion for these kinds of "this one is cool, REALLY" reviews is to focus on the experience, or the high-level view of how the game engages the mind, or perhaps your feelings during a particular moment (and you can often work some gameplay description into such examples).

This is advice that I almost never follow myself. We all feel some kind of compulsion to describe gameplay. It's a hard habit to break -- the world has indoctrinated us that "reviews need to describe game mechanics" -- but I think it's a habit we need to break if we're all to grow as critics.

That being said, I thought the bit about twitch reactions not helping was excellent as it focuses more on who will like it and why, and less on the details of how the game plays.

//Zig

EDIT: company and device names should not be italicized; italics are for titles (ie, italicize the name of an iPhone game, but not iPhone itself)

This message was deleted at the request of randxian, the person who originally posted it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.