Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > jiggs's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time review

This thread is in response to a review for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 25, 2009 (04:07 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a very nice retrospective look at Ocarina of Time. You described so perfectly what makes this game so special. It makes me want to replay it again, though I've done so a fair bit more regularly over the years, so it won't quite be new again for me. But I certainly enjoyed reading this.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: jiggs
Posted: November 25, 2009 (06:50 PM)

that was the intended effect i was trying to go for. thank you!

!

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: November 26, 2009 (08:44 AM)

you should sign up for the alphabelolympics. Still a few spots left!

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: November 27, 2009 (02:15 AM)

i may consider it. hopefully i can have some free time to participate.

!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 27, 2009 (04:05 AM)

Considering you have until January to produce a review, time shouldn't be much of an issue.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 27, 2009 (04:22 AM)

You should do it.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 28, 2009 (08:29 AM)

I like how you pose the question "Is this game still fun today?" It's obvious you put some effort into describing how it was fun then and how it is still an enjoyable romp today. Reading this made me want to play the game again, perhaps on the Wii virtual console (I no longer own a N64). A 10/10 that makes the reader want to play the game again has certainly done its job.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by this game led to N's downfall, unless you meant the N64 is just a waste in general.

Also think the review perhaps drug on a bit too long. I know you are really passionate about this game and want to share all the game has to offer with the readers, but you don't have to include every single minute detail.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: November 28, 2009 (09:32 PM)

what i meant by it led to its downfall, i did't mean the N64 but Nintendo in general in the aftermath of its release. i meant it in two ways.

1.) Nintendo were counting on Ocarina to close the hardware sales gap between Sony. No matter how great the game was, Sony's lead got even bigger after its release. The notion of having a killer-app was important in those days but that trend started to reverse, beginning with OoT and because Nintendo wanted everyone to know their greatest game could only be made on cartridge, that idea too was defeated. that being said i liked the N64 and wouldn't consider it a wasted system, just a victim of time.

2.) After its release, Nintendo had been struggling creatively for awhile although with flashes of brilliance here and there. Most of their GameCube games were uninspiring which led them to shy away from creating traditional hardcore games in favor of more simple casual games..thus the "new" Nintendo as the reference there.

a part of this review reads like a lament of sorts on the way Nintendo used to make games. originally the review was over 3,000 words long. i thought about posting it in its entirety but decided to compress it down to a half. that was kind of hard to do.. in conclusion i thought an epic game should deserve an epic send-off. Ocarina is one of the few games that can get away with a lengthy review. =)

!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.