Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > CptnMayhem's inFAMOUS review

This thread is in response to a review for inFAMOUS on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 22, 2009 (07:23 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This looks like a potentially good review that needs some polish. I like how you draw in your reader by discussing how you can explore any area you can see and by explaining the karma system. The aforementioned system seems intriguing, as it seems you can be good, evil, or a shade of gray.

However, there are too many red flags in the review. First of all, I was a bit disoriented by the Ulimate Spiderman comparison. In the second sentence of your review, you talk about how you can jump off buildings and
whatnot in that game. So is inFamous similar in that regard? Or do you mean both provide the players with free reign in terms of tackling objectives? I deduced from the rest of the review you more than likely mean the latter, but it's still not perfectly clear, especially when the sentence following the Ultimate Spiderman plug discusses Spiderman's abilities.

Also, I was put off by the opening sentence in the sixth paragraph that reads "One of my complaints with the game is that karma moments often don't make sense. The first and second one are pretty well-thought out, but then there are ones such as, "Do I kill this person and take their stash, or do I let them live?" By saying "One of my complaints" it makes it look like this is the start of a list of complaints, but the paragraph above goes into exquisite detail about various glitches. This makes the review read a bit clumsily.

Finally, the conclusion is a complete mess. You say you settled on a 7, yet the review is officially scored an 8/10. Also, you plainly state that you listed more negative details than positive, yet you had fun playing the game. Granted, you do list some good qualities in the early paragraph, but even some of those are laced with negatives. I'm still not convinced this game deserves a 7 or an 8, or whatever score you intended to give it, given more than half of the review contains several reprimands.

I don't mean to come across too harsly; I do appreciate how you honestly reported what you felt were key elements in the game. The explanations pertaining to the game mechanics, story, karma system, and glitches were all well done and informational. What this really amounts to is you have a lot of things working for you, but the review doesn't come together as a whole. To me, this is like having a tall glass of egg nog along with a big heaping plate of deluxe chicken nachos. I love both, but wouldn't want to have them together during the same meal. Also, if you really believe this game deserves a high score, then you need to sell that to the reader.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.