Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Modern Warfare 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 22, 2009 (07:20 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Has anyone not written a review for this game yet? Snarkiness aside, I'm glad you at least discuss the actual game play elements instead of just worrying about the story and that one controversial scene.

Also, I like all the descriptions, particularly the one about how you suddenly realize you are still alive and must run for cover.

However, I think you could trim the fat in a few places, a phrase ironically used in this review. In the intro, the whole "I want to tell you..." went on a bit too long. The summary of Call of Duty 4 in paragraph five seems unnecessary. I want to read a review about Modern Warfare 2, not it's predecessor. Yes, I realize the whole point is to illustrate how Modern Warfare 2 is even more over-the-top, but I don't like how the first sentence which reads "Call of Duty 4 delivered moments like these as well, and it delivered them in full supply." It looks like you are actually reviewing that game here instead of Modern Warfare 2.

I did enjoy the paragraphs following, particularly the bit about how people who try to cheat and discover invisible walls won't get all the enjoyment the game has to offer.

Basically, this is a good read that I think would be improved by trimming the fat.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:33 PM)

Thanks a lot. I was actually really hoping for a feedback topic, because I was honestly as happy with this review as anything else I've ever written and I wanted to see if it was just me. Apparently it was, heh heh.

I do think bringing up CoD4 is an important point, however, because it explains why the game was successful, why this one was anticipated as highly as it was, and what IW did to match those expectations. And why it ultimately worked. But you could very well be right about me getting too carried away.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:54 PM)

Maybe I'm being nitpicky with the whole CoD4 thing, but that's just my personal preference. I do understand why you did it though.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2009 (06:34 AM)

This is a wonderful review, Mike. It says a lot about HG when a popular game that has seen a million reviews already, sees quite a few more on this site--all of them great.

This is one of the best reviews I've read by you, and I've read a bunch. You worked the "short, linear, intense" angle as well as it could be worked. (I rather enjoyed the Half-Life 2 reference, too, ha.)

Btw, I know you were making a point, but do you seriously not care for the Spec Ops missions? Cuz I'm addicted to them right now.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 24, 2009 (11:53 AM)

Thanks for the kind words, Masters! I don't usually rush to get a review done that quickly, but when I started writing, we had two excellent MW2 reviews on the site already, both also giving it a 10/10. I kind of wanted to get it in before it became irrelevant, I guess.

I actually do like the Spec Ops missions quite a bit, though it's just a little disappointing that most of them are just repeats of the single-player levels. Getting three stars on some of them is devilishly difficult, too. I was able to get all the stars for the first group (Alpha, I think it's called) but after that I kind of stopped trying after a while.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: November 24, 2009 (02:19 PM)

It's the juggernauts that make the special ops missions really tough.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.